Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default bato box too wet

looking for Idea on what to use in my GH euro grow.
    don't like how the Hydroton and the Coco coir drain too slow. thought about using
    say a 6-8 " grow cube with hydroton around it. any Ideas ?

Chico, Butte County, California, USA, Earth (Visitor)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Default Just Right.

I can grow plants directly in hydro solution provided it's well oxygenated and recirculated often enough to avoid anaerobic (low oxygen) conditions.

Right now I've got some clones rooted in neutrallized RockWool that I just transplanted into net baskets of vermiculite (puffed mica).

As long as I attend to the roots oxygen needs, the plants can take as much "Wet" soil conditions that I can throw at it.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest adding an aquarium air pump with an airstone (diffuser) to your nutrient reservoir, and it is especially good to oxygenate the solution just prior to pumping it to the soil or soilless medium.

You can use air injected into a hydro pumps output line, but it often causes protien perciptiation at the emitters and can demand more cleaning than just having a bubbler in your reservoir.

Take care, Sal.
    The City of Chico has the highest per capita MJ consumption in America... ...and it doesn't even feel like work.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

thanks thats where I'm at now air pump and stone right near irrigation pump intake. now the water used for soil plants should that be pre aireated ?
    thanks again

Chico, Butte County, California, USA, Earth (Visitor)
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Quote Originally Posted by deltabomb
    the water used for soil plants should that be pre aireated?
    Yes, especially if it's for use with flowering plants.

Water strait from the tap contains chlorine and metal ions, but oxygenating the water overnight, drives of the chlorine and also oxydizes some of the metals out.

In Tobacco growing states like Virginia and Kentucky, there are water quality laws that govern how much chlorine, sulfur and calcium water can contian. These elements affect Tobacco burning quality, aroma and flavor.

Tobacco also produces the best results when grown with Nitrate form Nitrogen (N), rather than ammonia or urea forms of Nitrogen.

Mixing nutes THEN bubbling, burns out possible carbohydrates that otherwise would give rise to microbial blooms in your nutrient solution, which cause problems like pH shift, sludge and gooy protein percipitates that can cause emitter and cleaning headaches.

Inorganic ferts don't seem to need any additional bubbling time, but I still bubble the water used to mix them first.

Take care, Sal.
    The City of Chico has the highest per capita MJ consumption in America... ...and it doesn't even feel like work.