Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Digital Volcano informal research - Amount use and potency

I'm a 'vape-tender' at a southern Califonia Distribuary (GourmetGreenRoom.com) and I use a digital Volcano at GGR for patients and one at home for my use. I have had good results in using as little as .2g of marijuana to fill 3 bags. I can't measure the THC in the bags, but I have been measuring the weight of marijuana used up after each bag. I consistantly get between a 15% to 20% of marijuana weight reduction at 380 degrees for the first bag and then approximately 5% weight reduction for the 2nd and 3rd bags.

Moisture evaporation probably accounts for the first bag being the heaviest. Any thoughts or similiar findings?
    Last edited by 420psych; 07-09-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Theraputic Cannabis Dominatrix pflover's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

I have kept track of the weight going into my volcano vs the weight coming out before but not in a per bag kind of way. I do not think I run my volcano quite as hot as yours but I found a general weight reduction after vapping to be about 16%. This is averaged over 3oz going in.
    Regestered PDX area TC-caregiver for 2, housewife.

Mugen: [after finding a bag of coins in the river] We hit the pot, Jack!
    Fuu: That's jackpot!
    Mugen: All I know is we're filthy bitch!
    Fuu: Filthy rich!
    Jin: I hope your doing that on purpose.

PRESERVE NEURAL PLASTICITY!!!

Anit harm none...

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Measuring methods

Thanks for the responce. How did you measure?

I'm still trying to decide how best to measure the weight changes. At first I would empty the Volcano heating chamber and weigh the medicine, but that was prone to error due to the inevitable loss of some medicine in the process. Now I weigh the medicine, grind it, put it in the chamber and measure the changes in chamber weight. I think I'll change that process and grind it first and then weight it.

I'm hoping to see if there are any interesting weight changes in varying the amount of medicine and the Volcano heat settings. I have already found that as little as .20 grams will fill two bags [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']sufficiently, [/FONT]so I'm providing .2g 'sample' Volcano loads to customers so they can try before they buy for about $5.

I'd be interested in any details about how you did your weighing and see if I can fit it into what I found (about a 25% weight reduction over three bags, 15%, 5% & 5% of initial weight respectively).

Theraputic Cannabis Dominatrix pflover's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

I did it in bulk. Weighed out the starting product such that I had 3oz set aside for the experiment then I only vaporized the cannabis in this supply while collection all the duff in a jar. Once the 3oz had all been run through the volcano I weighed the duff which had been collected from the 3oz.
    Regestered PDX area TC-caregiver for 2, housewife.

Mugen: [after finding a bag of coins in the river] We hit the pot, Jack!
    Fuu: That's jackpot!
    Mugen: All I know is we're filthy bitch!
    Fuu: Filthy rich!
    Jin: I hope your doing that on purpose.

PRESERVE NEURAL PLASTICITY!!!

Anit harm none...

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Maybe I'll try some testing with my scale too. (Weighs to 0.01g and sensitive to wind or even walking in the room, so it's accurate enough to get some amateur readings.) I usually weigh the container with the preground herb at the beginning of the evening and then compare that with the day before. I'm a lightweight, but I should at least be able to provide some weight numbers. My herb is well cured too (few months), so very little moisture to be lost during vaporization.
    Protect your meds! Contact your gov't representatives or the prohibitionists will be the only ones represented.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Okay, my amateur testing of 1 weeks worth of vaporization shows an amazing 29% weight loss post vaporization. This herb is probably over 6 months old, and fairly dry. I keep the ground herb in an open container on the table, but this is SoCal so pretty dry conditions.

I use a volcano classic. Put only a small amount of herb just scantily over the bottom screen. Heat the volcano up to 9 and vaporize into a 24 inch bag. Once vaporized this way the duff is set aside to be used in brownies. The duff is not burnt, at least not in my volcano, and well toasted. You can see medium brown tones, like a LIGHT roast coffee I guess. The flavor of the duff works well with the brownies as I substitute it for nuts in the recipe.

That's my normal usage for the evenings. If I need something during the day, which isn't very common, I set the volcano on something like a 5-6. In the evening I don't mind couchlock, so vaping on 9 works great. If you put too much in you'll know it right away as it can be pretty strong and induce coughing at that point, but it's not smoke as there's no burning or really dark areas on the herb.

I don't know if all volcano classics are the same. My friend has one and claims the same settings will be darker and harsher with his, but mine is pretty old from before they setup their store in Berkley I think.

Calculations: (I did check in the middle of the week and found similar numbers then too.)
    Original weight: 7.42
    Duff Weight: 5.25
    Percent loss: 29.2%
    Protect your meds! Contact your gov't representatives or the prohibitionists will be the only ones represented.