Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question What strains help chronic back pain?

Hi, I am wondering what strains have helped those of you who have chronic back pain? Or just any info about marijuana strains and back pain would be great!
    Thanks!
    GreenDragonMama

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by greendragonmama
    Hi, I am wondering what strains have helped those of you who have chronic back pain?
    One of the reasons I smoke Cinderella 99 all day ... works well on my wifes arthritis (part of her Chrone's) ... Sativa dominant that has a great effect on my back pain (Degenerative Disc) ... best of both ... energy and pain relief. A lot of the heavy indica's work well at night ... eating it has a longer lasting effect too. About to have some Pot of Gold ... that is a good "Good night" strain. Kemo is good too.
    "No more smokin and feelin tense
    When I see them a come
    I don't have to jump no fence "
    ... Peter Tosh

Retired Staff

Thumbs Up/Down

I suffer from cronic pain and the best strain for me have been the blueberry. Also have been surviving on critical mass as of late works well also. Have had some releif with other strains but found me having to change strains often as my tolerance levels are very high...not pun intended...micah

Thumbs Up/Down

I think any potent strain will help, I'm curiouse about this myself as I suffer from back pain (esp. at night!). Queen Diesel, Sour Diesel have been ok for me (blueberry was ok too), but I'm curiouse about the eating bit, I never thought of that... I mean I have eaten plenty, just not at night before bed sounds like a great Idea. Anways I hope we get some more info on this, my back needs it!

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Eating your meds

I have had 2 bad discs in my low back since January 1997 and was diagnosed with 3 forms of Arthritis in 2001. In all these years, I have tried just about every option from the medical profession, both Western and Eastern, and many forms of mmj. I agree that Sativa-dominate plants for the daytime help keep one alert and the Indica-dominate strains at night for the deep rest we all need.
    I began baking with 'budder' and found that I could control my dose better by eating rather than smoking (or vaporizing) my meds. For me, I can stop the pain WITHOUT getting 'too high'. I use mmj to relieve pain. With the perfect dose, no one can tell I'm 'medicated' without a blood test.
    Now that I'm in my 50's, I don't go out late at night, any more. I don't want to get killed by a drunk driver OR show up on 'Police Radar' for any night-time activities. I'm happy to stay at home with my, wife of 34 years, a few plants, and two Yorkies to entertain us.
    There is a lot of information at TY to help all of us have a little better life. Currently, I'm making a 'tinture' with food grade Glycerin (some use booze). In another month, I'll try a few drops under my tongue to test the strength.
    Check out all the Budder Recipies. There are plenty to choose from.
    Enjoy,
    upperhydro
    Pain is a fact of life for most of us on this site. We have all found the 5,000 year old medicine that works better than the drug companies want us to know. No one has ever died from using cannabis.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default vicodin

30 minutes in a sauna

Thumbs Up/Down

indica indica indica!!
    Judge the deed and NOT the breed.
    Help Save The American Pit Bull Terrier

Thumbs Up/Down

my wife has digenerative disk disease
    white russian atm is great for her
    my other strains arent commercially available sorry
    all the best
    bil
    Pass the man a Bong!!!!!

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 37/3

I too hav ebad back problems!!! I have found that crital Mass, Willy, chrry slider, Cindy 99, and strawberry cough helps! always looking for other strains to help my pain!!! mix and match!!!

peace
    Twisted Sister

May our voices be heard! LOUDLY PLEASE!

My newest Motto from Sevens
    "Better than the us postal service...neither, snow,rain, wind,...or Lightning will stop me from voicing myself about Med MJ! Very Loudly Please!"

Thumbs Up/Down

I too am still looking for that really good strain to help the pain caused by degenerative disc disease and scar tissue caused by failed back operations. The biggest problem I run into is strains that help the pain also cause severe anxiety. I am sure the more I read and participate in ty forums/magazines that I will find that perfect strain for me. Read, educate and experiment . .. . . . that's my motto.
    To love means loving the unlovable. To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable. Faith means believing the unbelievable. Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Default what strains help chronic back pain

i am trying to figure this out myself right now. i have smoked marijuana off and on for the past 35 years. i was a daily smoker up until 18 years ago. i quit because i started a family and i just didn't feel the need to smoke anymore. i have started smoking again but this time it is for medical reasons. it was never for medical reasons before. i have grown my own in the past and i have started to do so again. my first grow which i recently harvested was skunk #1 and arjan's haze #3. after smoking both i would have to say that the arjan's haze is much more effective on my arthritis pain. it is a sativa strain. i have never been a big indica fan. the first time i smoked "skunk weed" was back in 1985. i went to a concert with two of my friends and my one friend had some of this new skunk weed that was going around. i drove to the concert and we smoked a joint on the way. what i felt was not what i would call a high. i was disoriented and paranoid and i could not smoke anymore which my friends could not understand because i was a big smoker but all that i had ever smoked was sativa's (colombian,mexican,jamaican etc.). i would have to say that everytime i smoke an indica strain i get the same feeling. the skunk#1 is a sativa dominant strain but it is still crossed with an indica. when i smoke it it does not relieve my pain and i get very anxious and in about an hour i cannot keep my eyes open. from now on i am only going to grow sativa's. i know they don't yield as much and take longer to grow but the effect for me from sativa's is so much better. the best pain reliever is a high thc and high cbd strain as far as i am concerned.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Default anxiety.............

someone said how sativas are good for pain but along with them comes anxiety, and I can't agree with you more on this... I love sativa's for the wake up, pain relief etc, but its almost never worth the anxiety I suffer from them, so I am forced to stick with indica's and a constant burned out feeling most fo the day... which is ok in the night time but in the day its just so hard to function feeling this way..
    any strains that (FORSURE) give the sativa effect but without the anxiety and paranoid feelings?
    thanks

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

i am going to try nirvana's white castle for my next grow. they say it is good for pain relief. that is the problem when you live in a state that does not have medical mj. you don't know what you are getting when you buy on the street so it's a must to grow your own. hopefully my state will approve medical mj soon.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0

I've got similar issues and have had trouble finding a strain that doesn't produce anxiety and paranoia in me, but instead is focused on muscle relaxation and reducing neuropathic activity around my spine L3-L5 possibly S1'ish as well.

Have been recommended Grapefruit and will be trying a Berry variation soon, and hopefully more.

Was just in the Nimbin area earlier this week and managed to taste some amazing outdoor, I have not touched cannabis as resinous and aromatic as this in many years. The effect was free of anxiety, a great muscle relaxant yet energetic effect not too much head activity in terms of that speedy heart racing and paranoia direction, more of an active motivating effect with a lot of body effects remaining.

It makes me wonder whether I'm missing out because of poor black market cannabis that isn't fresh or is grown with chemicals indoors or that these effects are caused by these amazing aromatic terpenes and flavinoids and other volatiles and not just the cannabinoids. It was quite an experience, I haven't had the opportunity to smoke decent outdoor, organic herb like that ever before and I'd like to do it again :-)

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Default critical mass....

hi,

someone mentioned cirtical mass above, and I just read last months treating yourself mag. and have been looking into mr.nice's critical mass strain because of the huge yields it can give you. But some say its just bigbud (or not just big bud, cuz it great!!) but is this true? also can anyone tell me what the yield difference would be between something like C.M. or bigbud, and compared it to skunk, or something like northernskunk?
    my freind that grows my herb, is wiling to get any strain for me, so would I get more yield from growing big bud, o r C.M. compared to other strains, and if so how much difference?
    he grows it with sometimes a 600watt hps light, and its horizontal, and usually gets about 1 to 1.5oz per plant in sunshine mix4 or sometimes he used promix soiless mix, in 2 gallon pots,
    thanks

Thumbs Up/Down

I've had back issues since I was a teen and found out in my late 20's that I had bulging discs, osteoarthritis, scoliosis, DDD, DJD, RSD, and a blown disc as well that happened later. I've found the best way to control my pain and spasms is to use a good Indica or Hybrid budder to cook with (or make canna milk or tincture). I am finding that the medibles address so many more issues for me without feeling high or goofy. I do the same thing and tritrate the dosage (which of course lasts 4-6 hours after it comes on) and I get just awesome pain relief and spasm releif as well. I know edibles can be scary....well they were for me because I was new to the med scene and I'm an old broad.....lol...and very far away from any dispensaries or co-op's, but again it's so expensive unless you can find someone who's willing to kick down their trimmings in trade for budder or baked goods. I found someone that helped me througout treatment that helped me be able to cook medibles by giving me her extras that it allowed me to make very potent and good budder. Not scared any longer....as long as I have the green I can make the goods. For me, that was my biggest hurdle and it's going to be one again, but hopefully another compassionate soul will either allow me to purchase or just gift me with trim and I'll continue cooking and improving. I still smoke, but I find if I smoke it's more of a nighttime b4 bed thing to skip the Ambien because I get quite paranoid on Sativa's. Sorry to ramble...just wanted to throw my 2 cents into my hat and then throw the whole thing into the ring.....lol. Take care!

Peace and One Love,
    Free
    Last edited by Free 2 b me; 07-31-2009 at 02:24 AM.
    Live the Life you Love....and Love the Life you Live

Where Mercy is shown, Mercy is given

To whom Much is given, Much is required

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing, but mean your mother

420grower

well as a medical grower/breeder,I think I will give you my 2 cents,I also use what I grow,I am a paralyzed veteran,who lives with a pain scale of 8-10 dailey,I have developed a few pain relief meds,they are the result of quite a few years of finding the proper varieties to get the proper effect,I was blessed with friends all over the world(I smuggled cannibus for 10 years 70's)any way between some great aussie strains and a great south african variety,I have come up with Mr.Magoo's majic,and its sister Magoo's white majic,very potent,very good for the relief of pain,so don't be afraid to try some simple breeding and you too can sooth your pain with your own custom meds,enjoy my friends

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

when i was a heavy smoker i smoked nothing but sativas. they never gave me anxiety,paranoia or a racy heart in fact the best marijuana that i have ever smoked was a colombian gold that was more than half seeds. to this day it was the best i had ever smoked, bar none and that was in 1975. why do sativas today cause so many people problems. i recently watched a program on bbc that was called "should i smoke dope". it was about a woman who never smoked weed before. in one of the segments of the show she was injected with pure thc and she was very uncomfortable, the next day she was injected with thc and cbd and the difference was remarkable. i think that just confirms the fact that while some cannabinoids may not be psychedilic they have an important function in the quality of the experience. i think that one of the problems with marijuana research is that different strains have different medicinal effects. while marijuana in general helps nausea and stimulates appetite certain varieties have different effects on ailments. that is the problem that i am having right now. i am growing different strains in hopes to find one that will help with my arthritis pain. one of the strains that i recently grew was skunk #1 and i gave some samples to friends and they were knocked out by how good it was. in fact my friend goes to amsterdam once a year and after his wife and him smoked it they had to lay down but it has no real effect on my pain. i also grew arjans haze #3 which has much better pain relief and it is a sativa. as i said previously my next grow will be white castle by nirvana because it supposedly is good for pain relief. i sure hope so because i am getting tired of the trial and error. that's why californians are so lucky they can go to a dispensary and try different varieties until they find one that works for them. i hope to god that soon we'll all be able to do the same.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Default some relief

hi,

its great to know so many of you on here have been trying to find different strains for pain relief.. It will really help me save a lot of time with trial and error, because its so hard to have grown for 3months and to find the strain that was grown not to be that great for my pain relief/depression/anxiety...
    anyone had good pain relief with bigbud?
    im really trying to find the best possible yielder that also has best medical properties for my problems...
    only get to grow in a small space, and its never a sure thing that my friend will be able to the next time.. so I really have to find the best yielder so it'll last.. when I run out my life suffers a lot, and the ability to be a functioning father to my son, and husband..
    and most times I get herb from local dealer its somewhat anxiety inducing, so almost defeats the purpose..
    thanks everyone.
    s

Zygote

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by greendragonmama
    Hi, I am wondering what strains have helped those of you who have chronic back pain? Or just any info about marijuana strains and back pain would be great!
    Thanks!
    I've been getting an afghani indica strain delivered to me recently from a site out of
    quebec called cana-med.ca. I find the indica works best, as it really relaxes the body,
    and seem to act as an anti-inflammatory as well

Thumbs Up/Down

I made some tincture for myself, and it's the best for pain relief for me. It does not seem to matter which strain is used.
    Last edited by lequebecfume; 11-10-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

Red face Which Strains for chronic back pain ?

GreenDragonCannaMama Sister,

We as patients and even more so of chronic pain patients: are all individuals with individual pain differences. Therefore nailing down specific strains is difficult to say the least. More often, sadly, than not, patients may spend their lives searching for a strain to deal with their pain problems.

I will say that most of the chronic back pain patients that I have helped and know; ALL prefer indica dominate to sativa dominate.

I find that hot vaping with my Standard Volcano and using multiple numbers of strains of indicas my fave of all time is Sensi Seeds' Black Domina

I have liked the following stains to help with pain: Afghan, HinduKush, Burmese Kush, Power Kush, Durban Poison, Swazi, Skunk, Lemon Skunk, Cheese, DJ Short's Blue Berry, Pure G/13, Pure Power Plant, Hashplant,Thai Stick, Green Crac, White Russian, Jerijuana, Maui Wowie are all that come to mind presently.

LEQ
    Léglaliser, Règlementé, Éduquer et Soigner

Liberé Marc Emery de prison dans l'état de Georgia puis retouner lui au Canada pour server son temps pas loin de son èpouse Jodie

One Compassionate Act per Day

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 9/0
    Given: 65/0

Any time I need to be numb its White Widow X Country Indica, a strain called Chronics Revenge. Only thing its good for is being numb.
    Thanks to google and youtube I managed to fabricate all the above words together to sound like Im growing, but Im not, never have, and even with a MMAR card I never will, so there! P.S. I loves my prozac and ridalin, om nom nom, moar plz....

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0

I guess I feel pretty lucky that I live in Colorado. Being able to try a gram of this and a gram of that, I was able to really narrow it down to what really work for me. (I have killer back pain, but it is due to fibromyagia, nothing muscular/skeletal)

Pretty quickly I found that Sativa's made me, in that more alert state that it can induce, hyper-aware of my pain. I would sort of mentally and emotionally zone in on what I had medicated for. Not helpful.

But Indica's, Afghani anything are a way better bet for me.

Being a non-smoker it really took me a while to work past the "whoa shit I am stoned!" thing to figure out what worked best, but I have narrowed it down a lot.

Kush, almost any Kush strain works great for me. Right now I have a good chunk of Pure Kush that I use as my foundation for everything. (For a while it was a Mazar, but apparently there were only a few of us in the dispensary who loved it as much as I do, so they stopped that crop. I sure miss that stuff)
    I can carefully blend in some sativa's as long as it isn't too pure, I can handle no more than a 40/60 blend. I have been using some Big Buddha in with my Kush for a little more oomph, or if I am working on my art.

My tips of wisdom, as someone who has been medicating since July 2010 (so I am so not an expert, but very experienced at being very new at this lol!) is to start a journal. Everything you try, try it alone first. Make notes of what it does, how you feel physically and mentally. Add in motivation, emotions, running thoughts, the yuckies like paranoia. That was what started to map it out for me and helped me to really tune in to how my body worked with different meds.

The first time I took a puff of Bubba Kush I almost cried. That was the first moment I knew that this process was the right decision for me and my family.

Best of luck to you.

420grower

thanks for post fibro,you are right this medicine always amazes me,have given it to many,almost all still use it in one form or another,great comments,peace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast