Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Black Ra1n

Default Cloning 101 with the OGA

Hey all, I was looking through the forums and noticed there was no tutorial on cloning. Being a novice seed entrepreneur I thought it would be great to pass on this very useful technique. We take clones for many reasons, for me it's mostly to keep certain phenotypes around.

Cloning is very easy, it may be a bit intimidating at first but you'll be a pro in no time. Here's a list of things you'll need.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan15_zombieclones.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	28515

Root hormone
    Oasis cubes (or whatever you plan on using)
    Exacto knife or blade
    Scissors or small pruners
    Cell packs
    Flat and dome
    Grow heating pad

Name:	clone1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	28516

I use oasis cubes, they're pretty cheap and you can cut them in half getting two out of one. Some say to ph your water between 5.5-6.0, I never do this and have never had an issue. Let them soak for a day before you plan on cloning.

Choose your cutting, I've topped this plant so I'll use that. I've taken big clones and very small clones, they all root.

Name:	clone2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	28517

Trim away all the excess, your only going to use the top. Excess leaves will only hamper the rooting process. I trim half of the fan leaves away, they don't require all that plant material.

Name:	clone3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	420.8 KB 
ID:	28518

You want to make your cut about half and inch below the node on a 45.

Name:	clone4.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	28519

Grap your pre soaked oasis (or other medium) and poke a hole in the center with your scissors or small pruners. Take your cutting and dip it into some water, then dip it into your rooting hormone. I've always dipped it up to the node, but have seen where you only have to dip the tip. I will try this on a few and we'll see what happens.

Name:	clone5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	28520

Put the cutting in the hole you put in the cube. Place the clone into a cell pack. I write on the cell pack so I remember what strain the clone is.

Name:	clone6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	665.5 KB 
ID:	28521

Place into your flat/dome and place onto your heating mat. The mat is the key, it keep the temps perfect. I use 23 watt daylight cfl's for lighting, you don't need much light. Check your clones every day to make sure the cubes aren't dry. I normally water mine every second day. I fill a bowl of water and put the cell pack into the water for a bit, then let the excess water drain and back under the dome. You'll notice after 4-7 days roots emerging from the cubes. I then add a pinch of bud blood to my water and feed them with that for a few more days then it's into what ever medium your using. Don't over water them while in the medium. They'll root within a week or so. I'll update the process on the ones I took here.
    Last edited by Black Ra1n; 02-12-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default whoa

thanks ... it's like you read my mind. I am about to start cloning and was about to look for a good tutorial ... haha
    "No more smokin and feelin tense
    When I see them a come
    I don't have to jump no fence "
    ... Peter Tosh

Thumbs Up/Down

Default hey good stuff

just wanted to send a message about a post i put up last night its in the grow ops forum about cloning a plaant that was cut down and hanging for three to four days before taking clones let me know what you think...
    Bigskybuds

Black Ra1n

cannarchist, thanks man I didn't see any on the site.

bigskybuds, I have never taken clones off a hanging plant, very interesting.

Okay I should have updated this 3 days ago when I first saw the roots popping. I got a new dome yesterday, my old one had seen better days.

Name:	Feb21_clones.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	28867

Name:	Feb21_clones2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	28868

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Good job
    Check out my cannabis/marijuana related blog
    http://warlockrants.blogspot.com

Black Ra1n

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Good job
    Thanks Warlock, clones get planted today. Half in soil the other half in coco. I'll be taking about 30 bo-bo clones today, doing a straight run of them next month.

Thumbs Up/Down

Black rain , Where do you get your oasis cubes from and i have a heating pad but no thermastat on it is that an add on.? Im trying to clone white rino but they just dont seem to want to show roots. Currenty i am useing rock wool the dome but no heating pad.

Black Ra1n

You should be able to get oasis cubes from any grow shop. I don't run a thermostat, you can get one if you wish. Some strains just take longer to root. I've had some take weeks, with those patience is needed.

Thumbs Up/Down

great post, I just use pro-mix for cloning and have had great results, another tip is to cut the cotton off the end of a q tip, I find them the perfect size to make holes in the pro mix to put the cutting, another thing I do that was not mentioned in your method is to make a few slices with a razor just to break the skin of the stock, on the part you put in the rooting hormone to give the cutting a few more possible root starting spots
    "If you do not read a newspaper you are uninformed

If you do read a newspaper you are misinformed."

Mark Twain

Get your news from more than one source.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0
    Given: 2/0

Thanx for the info black rain....there is a lot of good information here for a cloning refresher course..or a new approach to cloning.....but all the links seem to be invalid...I don't know if it is the age of the thread or just a gliche in the system....I would like to check out the info you posted
    "Prohibition...goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes...a prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln
    Dec. 1840

Black Ra1n

oh yeah all the images were deleted when they updated, I'll fix that up for ya. I have to redo this post cause it won't let me update the first one.

Hey all, I was looking through the forums and noticed there was no tutorial on cloning. Being a novice seed entrepreneur I thought it would be great to pass on this very useful technique. We take clones for many reasons, for me it's mostly to keep certain phenotypes around.

Cloning is very easy, it may be a bit intimidating at first but you'll be a pro in no time. Here's a list of things you'll need.

Name:	clone1.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	350.8 KB 
ID:	30535

Root hormone
    Oasis cubes (or whatever you plan on using)
    Exacto knife or blade
    Scissors or small pruners
    Cell packs
    Flat and dome
    Grow heating pad

Name:	clone2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	30536

I use oasis cubes, they're pretty cheap and you can cut them in half getting two out of one. Some say to ph your water between 5.5-6.0, I never do this and have never had an issue. Let them soak for a day before you plan on cloning.

Choose your cutting, I've topped this plant so I'll use that. I've taken big clones and very small clones, they all root.

Name:	clone3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	420.8 KB 
ID:	30537

Trim away all the excess, your only going to use the top. Excess leaves will only hamper the rooting process. I trim half of the fan leaves away, they don't require all that plant material.

Name:	clone4.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	430.0 KB 
ID:	30538

You want to make your cut about half and inch below the node on a 45.
    Attachment 28519

Grap your pre soaked oasis (or other medium) and poke a hole in the center with your scissors or small pruners. Take your cutting and dip it into some water, then dip it into your rooting hormone. I've always dipped it up to the node, but have seen where you only have to dip the tip. I will try this on a few and we'll see what happens.

Name:	clone5.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	373.3 KB 
ID:	30539

Put the cutting in the hole you put in the cube. Place the clone into a cell pack. I write on the cell pack so I remember what strain the clone is.

Name:	clone6.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	665.5 KB 
ID:	30540

Place into your flat/dome and place onto your heating mat. The mat is the key, it keep the temps perfect. I use 23 watt daylight cfl's for lighting, you don't need much light. Check your clones every day to make sure the cubes aren't dry. I normally water mine every second day. I fill a bowl of water and put the cell pack into the water for a bit, then let the excess water drain and back under the dome. You'll notice after 4-7 days roots emerging from the cubes. I then add a pinch of bud blood to my water and feed them with that for a few more days then it's into what ever medium your using. Don't over water them while in the medium. They'll root within a week or so. I'll update the process on the ones I took here.

Here they are 6 days later.

Name:	Feb21_clones.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	280.5 KB 
ID:	30541

Name:	Feb21_clones2.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	30542

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanx for the repost black rain I appreciate the pics and info...I am gearing up for a cloning session...thanx again
    "Prohibition...goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes...a prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln
    Dec. 1840

Black Ra1n

No problem man, have fun with your projects.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Too stubborn to give up

I have been a closet grower for 30+ years....with a very good success record...but... to date I have yet to have any success with cloning....after reading and following your techique to the letter...I have still come up with nothing....I would really like to know what I am doing wrong....I have heard,by many,that cloning is easy....but to no avail in my case...I have monitored every aspect of my cuttings..right down to their wilting last breath....discouragement is not part of my make up...but aggravation definitely is....I would really like to know just what I am doing wrong...cuz everything you have explained does seem to be a very simple proccess....any further pointers or reading material would be greatly appreciated

Abraham Lincoln
    Dec. 1840

Black Ra1n

Are you clones wilting? Are they roting at the base where they go into the cubes or other medium you may be using? What is the ph of your water? Most times people overwater clones, if they recieve too much water they won't shoot roots or they'll just rot. Roots are lazy, if they don't need to find water/nutrients they won't. By cutting back on the amount of water they get they normally root quicker. Give me a detailed description of what your are doing and maybe some pics too. Lets get to the bottom of this for you, hate to see a grower discouraged!

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by fylthevoyd
    I have been a closet grower for 30+ years....with a very good success record...but... to date I have yet to have any success with cloning....after reading and following your techique to the letter...I have still come up with nothing....I would really like to know what I am doing wrong....I have heard,by many,that cloning is easy....but to no avail in my case...I have monitored every aspect of my cuttings..right down to their wilting last breath....discouragement is not part of my make up...but aggravation definitely is....I would really like to know just what I am doing wrong...cuz everything you have explained does seem to be a very simple proccess....any further pointers or reading material would be greatly appreciated

I find cloning easy as well
    I am normally in the high 90% success rate. The one advice i would give, is try one or two first and get your hands wet. Keep them under a humidity dome for the first few days and mist them 2 x daily. within 10 days if you do not see roots, I would give up on it and look at the roots, if any, that might give you an idea as to what is happening

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanx for the info guys....Black Rain,I am too stubborn to get discouraged ....I am not giving up...just prolonging to read further and get some more info under my belt ...I have already committed by cloning setup to a new batch of seeds...spouting seeds I am very familiar with so at this point in time I will stick wioth something I know how to progress with...my next attempt I will take step by step pics for you to evaluate for me...once again thanx for your help and pointers....I ain't a quitter

Abraham Lincoln
    Dec. 1840

Black Ra1n

That's what I like to hear, there's no need to bow to defeat on this one bro.... as soon as you get a few under your belt you'll be a clone king in no time..... It's far better keeping a few moms of your favorites than popping the same seeds all the time... I also find that clones produce better too, as well as the growth tends to be consistent from clone to clone(same strain) so you can pack em in your room.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanx Black Rain.....yeah I didn't consider this a defeat.....just a minor set back...discouragement isn't part of my genetic make up...if that was true...I would have given up on life a very long time ago....I appreciate your info and support...I will eventually get the process down....the old addage applies...practice practice practice...success will come with time

Abraham Lincoln
    Dec. 1840

Thumbs Up/Down

quick question that i haven't found yet....

my cloning was great at one time.. but i've been running into a few problems. presently i'm dealing with making sure the little ladies are not to wet but i believe there is more to it. while i'm working to keep the moisture down i'd like to eliminate the concern of the dome being to warm/hot.

what is the ideal temperature and humidity within, not outside the dome?
    420eh

P.A.C.E.
    People Advocating Cannabis Education

http://www.pace-online.ca

Black Ra1n

Between 70-80, high humidity is a must. If there's condensation on your dome things are right.

Thumbs Up/Down

black rain ,i , applaude your effort on teaching ...
    look we have a lots of thing we do the same ..myself i did give up on the heat pad as i do not think it is needed .also they are a fire hazard ..i have pics to prove it ..
    they only difference i see in the way you do clone and the way i do it ..is just i will never ..ever ..not even for a picture shot place a cutting on his side .....reason is when tilted to far away some air does get into the base of the stem..and this do create a air pocket
    odd of a clone surviving this is very slim ..myself i can brag about a 99.9 success in cloning indicas clones ...i will place a few pics i did take a few months ago .i did intend of doing a tread on cloning because none was existant .
    peace ..7..
    :) ..real friendship is like health ..
    you do not know its real value ...
    until...you loose it ...7:)

[url]http://www.phoenixtearsmovie.com/[/url]

Black Ra1n

Thanks, I too stop using my heat pad when the temps get up. I'm in a basement so that rarely happens. I have never lost a clone from the air pocket theory. I know plenty of people talk about it, but I think it's one of those stoner tales. I've heard of people cutting under water. I have taken clones off plants miles away from home, thrown them in a zip and they cloned just as well as when I do it from home. Thanks for the post man, have a good one.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Black Ra1n
    Between 70-80, high humidity is a must. If there's condensation on your dome things are right.
    i see my humidity over 80 and into the low 90's.

temperature can be anywhere from 82 to 86f.

if i'm not to humid, how about the temp?
    420eh

P.A.C.E.
    People Advocating Cannabis Education

http://www.pace-online.ca

Black Ra1n

Things sound right, be sure to take your dome off once a day to let some fresh air in... if you have a dome with a vent open the vent a bit to lower the humidity if it gets out of hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast