Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 881/0
    Given: 470/1

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

DJ Obtained beans from seeded imported landrace bud in the 1970s, not beans bred for sale as F1s.

As a comparison, take a look at Dutch Passion, Sagarmatha, and others who claim to have the real blue genes when we all know DJ is Papa Smurf.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Ceci n'est pas une signature du forum.
    Thank You for using S.h.a.d.i.m.a.r.: the world's most poorly coded chatbot.
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Australian Medical Marijuana Educator Smokin Moose's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 41/0
    Given: 24/0

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

You forget that great breeders use selection for developing great strains. The Afghan bloke may well have provided the initial genetics, but the craft of the breeder takes over as he develops the strain to be the best that it can, using the best of his craft as a breeder to achieve that. Selection can often involve hundreds of thousands of plants, trying to get the one just right. And that is just for the males lol. Then you go do selections with hundreds of thousands of girls, and you get an idea why breeders are protective of their "true breeding" strains.
    It is no easy task to develop a world class strain. But it is piss easy to rip off an artisan's work and chuck pollen to get F1's then selling them as originals. It is simple piracy.
    Anyone who does not understand the intricacies in developing a true breeding strain surely needs to delve a wee bit deeper into the knowledge pile. And pls don't think I am being rude.
    To give you an idea of value, GW Pharma paid nearly $120,000 for 12 seeds for a particular strain that was exceptionally high in limonene. 12 seeds for 6 figures! Go figure why breeders don't like pirates.
    Quote Originally Posted by TradingBeanz View Post
    I hear what you are saying and I have enormous respect for true breeders. After re-reading it I can see his points, but still that is a lot of names, a lot of strains. By his own logic should he not give the Afghan bloke credit for his genetics even though he has no idea that his "weeds" are being sold in seed form for more then the cost of poppy profit?. Any medicine that grew on this earth, as much as it was stabilised and so on, originally came from a place where they all grew like that, in a fairly uniform fashion. We have all had a blind put over us. My pharmacist does not even understand that poppies grow on this earth pretty much anywhere! I worry for this world. As far as the breeders go I do have breeders that I support whom I know have respect for the medical community and recreational alike. The breeders whom I speak of are like the old Original Sensible crew, people like Jeff Ditchfield, what an inspiring man! Really worth reading up on.
    Last edited by Smokin Moose; 10-29-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    [B][COLOR="Navy"][URL="http://shop.vetguru.com/shop/sweet-serenity/"][COLOR="Navy"][SIZE=3]Enlightened Veterinarian's Guide to Treating Pets with Medical Marijuana. Dr Doug Kramer's definitive ebook "Sweet Serenity"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE=5][COLOR=Blue]Truth flows on to credibility, and credibility will be the vehicle for change[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default Good points.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Moose View Post
    You forget that great breeders use selection for developing great strains. The Afghan bloke may well have provided the initial genetics, but the craft of the breeder takes over as he develops the strain to be the best that it can, using the best of his craft as a breeder to achieve that. Selection can often involve hundreds of thousands of plants, trying to get the one just right. And that is just for the males lol. Then you go do selections with hundreds of thousands of girls, and you get an idea why breeders are protective of their "true breeding" strains.
    It is no easy task to develop a world class strain. But it is piss easy to rip off an artisan's work and chuck pollen to get F1's then selling them as originals. It is simple piracy.
    Anyone who does not understand the intricacies in developing a true breeding strain surely needs to delve a wee bit deeper into the knowledge pile. And pls don't think I am being rude.
    To give you an idea of value, GW Pharma paid nearly $120,000 for 12 seeds for a particular strain that was exceptionally high in limonene. 12 seeds for 6 figures! Go figure why breeders don't like pirates.
    After reading your response I guess my comments are not all that well thought out, I have issue with the high prices they charge, that is my issue and we tend to vent these things out incorrectly sometimes. I certainly have a decent take on the hard work that is involved in making a good stabilised strain. It is so hard with so many companies also, it makes it easy to become disillusioned with every aspect of it all. And yeah, I know what you are saying about it being straight piracy. I certainly would not do it myself. I wish to see the weed freed!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadimar View Post
    DJ Obtained beans from seeded imported landrace bud in the 1970s, not beans bred for sale as F1s.

As a comparison, take a look at Dutch Passion, Sagarmatha, and others who claim to have the real blue genes when we all know DJ is Papa Smurf.
    As for DJ being Papa Smurf is his gear really good, Shad? I am genuinely interested as I respect your opinions.

Thumbs Up/Down

You might remember a few years ago when DJ was passing around clones of the Dad to True Blueberry.

The breeders that got the pollen used him instead of the regular studs and for quite some time everything they released was a joint project with DJ Short supplying the male half.

I hit up Chimera and Legends for some beans, then went straight to DJ for F13, Flo and True Blue after I was done there
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    Substantially Humanlike Application Determined Insufficient Mediocre And Relatively annoying.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 15/0
    Given: 2/0

Quote Originally Posted by TradingBeanz View Post

- - - Updated - - -

As for DJ being Papa Smurf is his gear really good, Shad? I am genuinely interested as I respect your opinions.

I am not shad, however I have grown out DJ's work many times over.
    Anyone familiar with my posts knows I am all about his Flo.
    A top producer that has ripe buds for picking September 15th, if allowed to remain it will keep packing on Bud weight for a multi harvest.
    Meds that are awesome and motivational.

[h=DJ Short - Flo]1[/h]Flo is a Sativa/Indica cross (60% Sativa / 40% Indica) with very Sativa phenotypic characteristics that also matures very early. The large, tight, spear-shaped buds are made up of small, densely packed purple calyxes. The plants are taller and like to branch out.

Indoors the buds are fully mature by the end of their sixth week. Outdoors the plant is a super producer when multi-harvested over a period of time. The first buds are ripe around the third week of September. About every ten days after that, new buds form and can be harvested through the end of November, if the plant can be kept alive that long. Therefore, Flo is ideal for greenhouse production.

The motivational high produced by the Flo is quite unique; the flavor is like Nepalese Temple Hash. A most pleasant and enjoyable experience. Rated #1 strain at Cannabis Cup `96 by Cannabis Canada Magazine.

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 217/1
    Given: 330/9

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Thanks guys. As far as strains go I am beginning to realise that I am a beginner! I shouldn't knock somebodies whole line of work because something in a comment 'rubs me up the wrong way.' After reading all of the following replies I see that I have alot to learn so I will sit back and enjoy the show! I know alot about gardening but when it comes to breeding I know very little about all of the intricacies. I hope to learn alot more and enjoy being part of a community that is happy to help and to teach. After reading some more about DJ's work as well as other details that have escaped me I am starting to understand more. Thanks guys!

Ex-Slave State, deep in the heart of Dixie!
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 36/0
    Given: 17/1

Default Start From Scratch Using Modern Technology & Old Strains?

It appears that most of us have forgotten that DJ and his family sacrificed a lot, and for many years/seasons so that his breeding projects could help move cannabis quality forward. It is a shame that his intellectual property rights have been violated by vain, greedy and over ambitious people. But, in this world we live in, weed remains mostly illegal, and most of the growers and dealers have zero integrity, that's the nature of the beast. Even in the highest echelons of weedom, there are snitches and thieves; the supposed inventor of Sativex is purported be a top breeder, but some say he's a skunk, a snitch and a crook, and that he worked with the dea/feds to send many a soul to the iron hotel. Some folks have even said that this snake of a fellow also has the first catalog of rare genetics stolen around the same time prohibition began. Greenhouse seeds gathers rare landraces that might cure diseases, but their greed & fear of the same theft they've committed also hinders them from releasing the seed in their pure form.

I'm seeing cancer patients dying every month, people with no hope of ever having safe access to medical grade in their lifetimes. I want to help, and the law wants to lock my ass up if I do. So, until I get to California, my hands are tied. If I had the ability, I would trek for and try to gather the strains necessary to duplicate DJ's early work. I would also release the landraces to anyone that wished to preserve them in their natural state, and use them to create new meds. There's too many crosses of crosses of crosses being bred and sold. Someone with love & passion for the genus, and plenty of time & money; they should start a global campaign of gathering & cataloging the rare and ancient gems. Arjan has begun, but his greed and pride stand in the way; he refuses to share his global varieties, and is actually a hindrance to any good work of preservation. I'm not saying he is a bad dude; I'm only pointing out his weaknesses, we all have them, no one is perfect, but his 3000+ strains should be shared. How much money does one man need: or how much can he take with him when he passes away? NONE!
    Live and let live.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 825/0
    Given: 904/1

I don't think anyone was born with mother plants in the crib. all these guys had to start somewhere, is there a real owner to a strain, once they sell it, it can be bred. owning the name is useless they will just change the name. I try a lot of different strains but I know the breeders I trust because time after time their genetics are consistent.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 234/0
    Given: 152/0

Quote Originally Posted by samhigh View Post
    I don't think anyone was born with mother plants in the crib. all these guys had to start somewhere, is there a real owner to a strain, once they sell it, it can be bred. owning the name is useless they will just change the name. I try a lot of different strains but I know the breeders I trust because time after time their genetics are consistent.
    I don't think its so much as ownership of a plant but ownership of the effort that went into breeding what you ended up with not with what was started with.

If you know DJ's work then you know it is not a F1 crossed to a F1 to get a new F1 and then market them his strains are out into the f5's and beyond.

Thumbs Up/Down

And of course DJ didn't just order two packs of nirplana for a closet run either.

Rather, he collected seed from the imported bud that made its way to the US after being grown in the country of its namesake and worked with many generations of plants to produce what we can order today, not just from DJ but from the many others that took his work and made crosses with it.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 538/2
    Given: 315/0

To me the bigger issue is the so-called "breeders" who think taking two purchased strains and crossing them is "breeding."

It's not. It's pollen chucking. Even I've done pollen chucking -- but I *gave* away the results, I didn't try to claim them as a "new" strain and charge for them.

Breeding requires multiple generations of grow-outs, culling for desired traits, stabilization -- work that takes many years and thousands of plants grown out.
    I do not fail -- I succeed at finding out what does not work.

Thumbs Up/Down

Well since you brought up the subject..

An F1 crossed to another F1 is not another F1: it is a Polyhybrid as both of its parents were F1 hybrids. Keep in mind one or both of those parents may have been a Poly themselves that were mislabeled as an F1.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 25/0
    Given: 12/0

To me you can claim your the breeder but god owns all patents and everyone who thinks they own gods creation after they pop his seed are just deluding themselves. What DJ short is saying is he has dibs on all the terpenes that the blue variants have, well those terpenes were around a long time before he was born.. Whether some land-race from some valley wherever, he does not own it. he should go work for monsanto my2cents

Thumbs Up/Down

Actually, evolution by natural, and guided, selection owns the patents

The terpenes themselves, yes, are one thing.

However producing a strain that can reliably be called Blueberry and not just "sometimes it's kinda berry-like in some of the plants" is another accomplishment that we take for granted along with the idea that all of these oils were already present in such levels in a plant somewhere before hybridization and selective breeding.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Epic Genetics

Well since you brought up the subject..

An F1 crossed to another F1 is not another F1: it is a Polyhybrid as both of its parents were F1 hybrids. Keep in mind one or both of those parents may have been a Poly themselves that were mislabeled as an F1.
    is it still not the first Filial generation of said poly ?

peace

Thumbs Up/Down

Sure, and Pluto is a Planet.

But when the definitions no longer mean anything then it's time to take a step back and ask yourself what you've been doing.

It would be the first generation of a polyhybrid, but not the first Filial generation of two stable IBLs chosen and bred for one or more particular characteristics; just as Pluto is a ball of ice.. but not much different from the other balls of ice around it and lacking those distinguishing characteristics that make it recognizable as a planet.

F2s are F1s, the Moon is a planet, S1s are F1s, the Sun is a planet, closet hermie beans are fems, Apothis is a planet along with the members of the asteroid and kuiper belts again

or maybe..

♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Epic Genetics

Sure, and Pluto is a Planet.

But when the definitions no longer mean anything then it's time to take a step back and ask yourself what you've been doing.

It would be the first generation of a polyhybrid, but not the first Filial generation of two stable IBLs chosen and bred for one or more particular characteristics; just as Pluto is a ball of ice.. but not much different from the other balls of ice around it and lacking those distinguishing characteristics that make it recognizable as a planet.

F2s are F1s, the Moon is a planet, S1s are F1s, the Sun is a planet, closet hermie beans are fems, Apothis is a planet along with the members of the asteroid and kuiper belts again

or maybe..

ahh now i get it, thanx for the explanation

wait ,,,,

so your saying an f1 grown on pluto would be the "ice" pheno ?

and an f1 grown on the sun is one "hot" smoke ?

am i even close, or am i growing on the moon ?

thank god im only a pollen chucker cause im feeling like ive been growing on Jupiter

peace

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Genetics View Post
    thank god im only a pollen chucker cause im feeling like ive been growing on Jupiter
    Sigh.. You can't grow anything "on" Jupiter.

It's a gas giant, there's no surface

Some people...geeze..

Pluto is no longer a planet.
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Epic Genetics

Sigh.. You can't grow anything "on" Jupiter.

It's a gas giant, there's no surface

Some people...geeze..

Pluto is no longer a planet.
    omg way to confuse things/me

so i guess that means my planed trip to pluto is off, and how the hell am i supossid to land on jupiter if there is no "on"

no wonder im stuck on earth

peace

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Epic Genetics View Post
    omg way to confuse things/me

so i guess that means my planed trip to pluto is off, and how the hell am i supossid to land on jupiter if there is no "on"

no wonder im stuck on earth

peace
    Not only that, there's Escape Velocity too.

Plus:

How high can you jump?

I'm white, so I'm capped out at about 2 feet, and the Saturn V went to the Moon which is around 250,000 miles away.

Let's face it, Epic. NASA gave up on the shuttle, the Russians started a taxi service, and the private sector is right behind them for a fraction of the cost for in-atmosphere flights..

But the Jetsons lied about the suitcase foldup flying-car
    ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪

Epic Genetics

Not only that, there's Escape Velocity too.

Plus:

How high can you jump?

I'm white, so I'm capped out at about 2 feet, and the Saturn V went to the Moon which is around 250,000 miles away.

Let's face it, Epic. NASA gave up on the shuttle, the Russians started a taxi service, and the private sector is right behind them for a fraction of the cost for in-atmosphere flights..

But the Jetsons lied about the suitcase foldup flying-car
    are you freekin serious, ive been keeping my eye on the local pawn shops/new and used stores for years looking for one of those

werent we supossed to have them by the year 2000 ?

my god, we arent much further along then cave men

next you will tell me the earth isnt flat

pffffft right, not flat

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Treating Yourself Limited Edition Seeds

Quote Originally Posted by samhigh View Post
    I found an old article here at TY about the dude that owns GW Pharma/Sativex; he was being called Frankenbeanstein for his part in using Monsanto's seed terminator technology to control the weed strains that he's patented. I read that the US Gov also has weed patents, what hypocrites.

It's still difficult to imagine the many years of hardship that the old school breeders endured so that a modern grower can have safe access to the very best meds on the planet. If DJ Short is still producing AAA quality seeds & genetics, it's worth $150 a pack. If he's slacking in the quality department, and doesn't stand behind his gear, then he can expect others to take over. I would prefer a fresh pack of less expensive high quality blue moonshine over an old out of date original; the name is useless if the product sucks.

I'd love to see a coalition formed from TY's best breeders to create a special product line of the world's finest medical grade genetics. Wouldn't it be cool to see breeders like epic genetics and Mike from Peakseeds team up with some of your favorites to create strains specific to this site? Treating Yourself Limited Edition Seeds.
    Live and let live.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0
    Given: 0/0

Nobody really owns any of the genetics that are available today. These genetics came from somewhere probably peasant farmers in Afghanistan India or other countries. Cannabis has been grown and genetically manipulated for 10 thousand years. So anybody claiming that the own any of the genetics is full of shit. There is many thousands of cannabis breeders around the world Who never charged a penny for their work. I myself have been growing and breeding cannabis for 35 years and I have never sold a single seed. Actually some of the best crosses that I have had I do not know where the pollen come from.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 8/0

I see DJ made this statement before the start of the thread in 2008 "violators will eventually be held liable to the fullest extent of the law " and here we are in 2014 so i don't see that being the case anytime soon but hope one day to grow without fear and to be able to patent your own genetic's , but don't see that being the case as I can walk into any flower store and by Roses without the moniker roses by joe what makes cannabis any different , I can understand the work he has put in his brand but if i can , so can any genetic buyer ....
    ZeneTix - genre

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by neuroherb View Post
    I kind of agree if its the 'Hobby Botanist' is the target but the way I read it it is other seed companies who are rebadging genetics as theres that he is ranting about & in that I would agree with him.

The one I can think of is the diesel strain recently I had the chance to read what is quite a definitive record of its lineage & no where in that does it credit the seed seller who is most prolific seed seller in claiming there one is the original.
    I'm with you, I have to agree with dj, because he's the guy that spent many years of his life stressed out, hiding out and evading the cops while remaining dedicated to the perfection of his strains. If another seed biz wants to use his gear, fine, but at least give the original breeder the credit, he and his family are the ones that made all the sacrifices in their lives. Perhaps it requires a long period of incarceration for one to have a fuller appreciation of the sacrifices entailed by dj for his life's work.

smokinbasser, there's other distinct groups of cannabis users you failed to mention. You're not aware of them, so, you're obviously pseudo-concerned about the true suffering of humanity; please, don't be a poser.

User Tag List
    + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 Next LastLast
    Thread: DJ Short is Pissed at REZ

Search Thread
    Rate This Thread

08-28-2008, 08:35 PM #1
    Red Sky

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Thumbs Down! Thumbs Up!
    Question DJ Short is Pissed at REZ

Hey anyone have any thoughts on this ?

DJ Short - On Various Unethical Opportunists.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

420 Words On Various Unethical Opportunists:

First, I would like to clarify that I have no problem with the ‘hobby botanist’ who plays around with my work and who share their experiments with other ‘hobby botanists’. This is acceptable and appreciated when the project is done with honesty and integrity, especially publically.

I have no problem with qualified med patients getting the most specific and best medicine possible. It pleases many when good herb is readily available.

What are not acceptable are the unethical opportunists who attempt to commercially profit off of someone else’s work without their consent or authorization. Integrity means much to me and I simply will not allow some unscrupulous parasite to sully my reputation. In a fair and legal marketplace with a level playing field, legal recourse for such breaches of trademark, copyright, patent, branding and overall intellectual property rights would be dealt with commonly, quickly and thoroughly.

For the record: ‘DJ Short’ and ‘DJ Short’s Delta-Nine Collection’ is the sole owner of the names, descriptions, ancestral and parental breeding stock and intellectual development rights to the strains; “Blueberry”, “flo” (“Flo”, “Flow”, “Floe”, “Original Flo”,etc.), “Blue Moonshine” (“Original Blue Moonshine”), “Blue Velvet”, “Blue Heaven”, “Purple Passion”, “Blueberry Sativa” (aka “Blue Satellite”), “Blueberry Kush”, “Blueberry Kind”, “Cocoa Kush”, “Vanilluna”, “Moonshine Rocket Fuel”, “F-13”, “Grape Krush”, “Rosebud”, “Original Blueberry”, “Blueberry Bud”, “True Blueberry”, “Old Time Moonshine”, “The Cross”, “Double Cross”, etc., etc., among others, and there exists verifiable and documented proof to back these claims of ownership. Unauthorized reproduction, distribution or commercial marketing of any of these strains, in seed, clone, or ‘other’ form, or the unauthorized use of these strain names or descriptions is strictly prohibited. Violators will, eventually, be held liable to the full extent of the law.

It never ceases to amaze me how charlatans with zero originality or integrity are able to dupe the gullible masses into a totally hype-induced marketing ploy. Where the greedy and unprincipled prey upon the uninformed, the Noble Warriors will choose to attempt to enlighten.

It begs to be stated that those who so lack originality and integrity are really quite, lame.

To those who argue: “you can’t own a plant, get over it.” I ask: Is it OK for some thug to steal the plants from your garden, your work, because, after all, finders keepers, right?

I think not.

Apologies for the slightly off-topic rant. Thank you for your time, consideration and understanding regarding this matter. I appreciate your support. Much happy health and growth to all.

~dj~

I Do Not Think You Actually Patent a Plant or It Would likely be Legal and having said that one should give credit where credit is Due...

Peace in Your Pipe All

disclaimer: I know fuck all about growing Indoors or out. Anything I say is pure fiction and so am I.

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Blog this Post
    08-29-2008, 03:50 AM #2
    Live and let live.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12