Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Default For Those of You That Use (or know about) Envirolights/High Wattage CFLs...

I'm looking into some high wattage CFL's to provide supplementary lighting. In general, how far should they be mounted from the plant? Granted, I know the generic answer is "as close as you can get them before they burn," but from experience, what would you say the min/max distances are for a CFL in the area of 100 to 150 watts?

Thanks for your time.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

I used an Envirolite style cfl on my last grow.
    I kept them about 3 inches above the plants.

I used the 250 watt for veg and the 150 for bloom.
    Most hydroponics sites sell these now but these folks had the best deal at the time.
    Plus ... they're local.

http://www.texashydroponics.com/shop...cat=349&page=1

~

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Do you think one in the 100 watt range would still be producing effective luminescences at 4 to 6 inches? With the way I intend to mount them, I'd say min distance would be around 2 to 3 inches, max distance 4 to 6 inches.

Canadian Federal Exemptee Richi420's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

I'd keep them about 3" above when flowering and about 3-4" in veg. When I ran a high wattage CFL, mine was 150watt (I think,almost 100% sure). When I used it in my veg room I kept them 4 1/2" away just so I dindnt have to move them up everyday. But since the growth slows majorly durring flowering 3" away is perfect as you dont have to worry as much. I never knew they made high wattage CFL's in 100watt, I thought the lowest that was made was 150 for the high wattage CFL's. Do you know the kavin temp of the high wattsge cfl's (100watts)?Peace
    yeha noha

Treat the earth and all of her aspects as your mother. Show deep respect for the mineral world, the plant world, and the animal world. Do nothing to pollute our Mother, rise up with wisdom to defend her.

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

They make them in 6500K, 5500K, 5000K, and 4100K (I'm interested in the 4100K). I'm actually going to be running these vertically for maximum efficiency, so it would be however many inches from the side of the bulb.

Thumbs Up/Down

One of my friends just started a grow with 2 100 watt cfl's and a 150 watt HPS in the center. The 100 watt cfl's we picked up at Home Depot for around 50 bucks a piece, as opposed to the local hydro shop with sells the same 100 watt cfls for $100. So we in a sense got two for the price of one. He has his floating about 4" above the canopy.

Ive seen some 300 watt cfls advertised, but i havent heard much about them.

JB
    Ex Girlfriend - "So, be honest, have you ever smoked pot?"
    Me - "Actually, i dont ever remember quiting."

"I am above the influence.....of politicians hypocrisies."

Canadian Federal Exemptee Richi420's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 3/0

the cfl's from home depot are not the same as the ones in your indoor gardening shops(most of them anyways). How ever for most applications I do agree that the price difference is not worth it. I know in Canada they only sell for about 25 at home depot.If you are going to do it that way I would say look for the bathroom/kitchen ones. Through personal experience those (the bath/kitchen ones) are very very close to the ones at your indoor gardening center and work a lot better then just the regular cool or warm cfl's. I still think that going and getting a small HPS light would give you a better "bang for the buck".But I know cost is normally a major downfall as some, like myself, have very limited funds.Peace
    yeha noha

Treat the earth and all of her aspects as your mother. Show deep respect for the mineral world, the plant world, and the animal world. Do nothing to pollute our Mother, rise up with wisdom to defend her.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 234/0
    Given: 152/0

Here is a thread of a grow I did with CFL's from start to finish.

Thread:

http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbul...ad.php?t=20538

Light:

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Fluores...s-p38H35L.aspx

I bought replacement bulbs at depot for $15 each.

S_a_H

Thumbs Up/Down

Default mirror mirror on the wall

i did about 6 years ago have a grow room around 8 x 10 fts .i had 1 beams i the center of my room 10 x 10 square beam .so i did found some mirror at the fleas markets 10 inchs wide and 5 foots tall i did buy 4 of them and did cover my beam . a few weeks after at the same flea market i did buy 6 other mirrors 3 x 4 fts so i did cover most of my wall .i did use this rooms for 1 year and i have never see any best results since then ..i have read that light is being distorted and it does give the wrong spectrum ...anyone have any info on that ?....for the last 3 years or so i do collect as many mirrors as i can found .i did find some in the garbage with just a few chips in the corner and now i think i want to cover most of my room with mirrors .is this a good ideas ?if yes ok .if no why ?....curious ..7..
    :) ..real friendship is like health ..
    you do not know its real value ...
    until...you loose it ...7:)

[url]http://www.phoenixtearsmovie.com/[/url]

Thumbs Up/Down

Now I know that you are not one to was money on things but from what I have read there is a product called FOYLON which has and incredible refelctive property, better than mylar or white. Its more like a fabric weave than a plastic and is has fire proof qualities so is safe to. apperently it is amazing for reduction of hot spots which mirrors and mylar are not good for... Do a search for it as I know some stores sell it in shorter peices rather than buying a whole roll.. I know I want to buy some my self.. Here is one of the best benifits of FOYLON, its has very good UV proofing effect as well ,so no pesky helicopter or plains flying over looking for heat signatures at your house with the use of this stuff anyway.. Cold be worth its weight in gold for some people .... For refection though it does seem hard to think that there is anything better than a mirror my self but I guess its all about the hot spots, burning and so on and the way light disperses or is spread around with products like FOYLON......Sevens maybe you should have started your own thread with this question but now I have answered I am just as guilty... oh well tabernacle

NatachaBengali

Hello, I have used quite often cfls, for clone chambers or small grow closets, 125W envirolite blue at first, and recently I associated one 200W cfl 2700K and one 125 cfl blue in to a square as small as 60cm*60cm, 0,36 square meter exactly, the cfls height varies between 5 and 10cms above the tops of the plants. I hope this will be of help, and sorry for not expressing it in inches, I am more familiar with the metric system.