Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lightbulb Cannabutter 3 ways (Stovetop)

Cannabutter #1
    Ingredients: 1 lb (450 g) butter
    1 oz (28 g)good ganja or hash or 2 oz (57 g) leaves

Method: Melt the butter slowly in the pan. Grind down your ganja to a fine powder and sift out any stalky bits. Gently add to the melted butter and stir in well. It will turn dark green if you're using grass.
    Keep on a low heat for up to a half an hour without letting it burn, giving it plenty of stirring.
    Then pour through a fine strainer squeezing all the butter into a jug. You can use the mush in a drink or simply compost it. Pour your Cannabutter into jars and seal them tightly for storage in the fridge. If you cover the hardened butter with a little water, this will help it keep a little longer.

Cannabutter #2
    Melt 0.5 kg of butter or ghee in a saucepan. Add several ounces of finely sifted marijuna. Simmer and stir for a few minutes until the butter takes on a greenish color of the grass.
    Pour the butter through a fine stainer. Press the mash firmly to squeeze out as much butter as possible. A little heat may be applied beneath the mash to help the butter flow better.
    Do not discard the leafy material. Simmer it in (hot) milk or vodka and sweeten with honey to make a tasty and effective beverage.
    For extra potency the process may be repeated by heating more marijuana in the same butter. Otherwise do as above.
    To store cannabutter may be frozen or kept for a long time in the refrigerator by pouring water over it.
    A simpler and more potent cannabutter can be done by using hashish or hash oil instead of marijuana. Heat and stir until all the hash or oil dissolves in the butter. As much hash or oil may be used as desired as it will dissolve very easily.

Cannabutter #3

Fill a large pot 1/3 the way with crushed and crumbled bud and leaf. Fill the pot 3/4 way with a mixture of 1 part butter and 4 more parts water. Boil for 30 minutes stirring frequently.
    Remove as much debris from the bottom as possible. Allow the liquids to cool to room temperature,then refrigerate. The butter will harden on the top and can be removed. Be gentle to keif layer. Discard the water.
    If a stronger product is desired the process can be repeated with fresh water and grass.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Thanks carrie
    Great info
    Beauty lives, not only in nature, but in one's own 'heart'.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0

"do you have troubles with the taste of cannabutter products?"

I have tried 5 different methods to prepare cannabutter.. finally I have found a method that fits with my tastes. I cant stand the taste of cannabis in my food . It is very important to me that its is strong but doesnt have a green look or taste .

I now use a crockpot,
    1 lb butter,
    3/4 oz of grade"b" bud or lower air buds & resin tips trim. crumbled but not poweder.
    8 cups of water,
    1hour on med heat 23 hours on low.
    let the liquid cool a little and strainer with 4 cheese cloth layers , but make sure you do this while its still semi hot to make sure its in a liquid state..

cool and seperate the butter from the water.

then the most important part for me
    "THE WASH"
    this purify's the end product and takes it from the color green to the color of regular butter but keeps the potency the same..
    It also take the bitter strong taste out of the butter...

the wash is basicly taking the green butter adding it back to the crock pot for 12 more hours with 8 more cups of fresh water..

end product is yellow and can be cooked into many baked products with out the strong taste usually found with edibles..

not everyone hates the taste of cannabis but for some it can invoke the jag reflex almost instantly. for people that are not into the taste of cannbis but love the effects then please try the extra step "the wash" and you will be happy..

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks grin but NO I am queen of canna butter making
    My canna butter tastes awesome as I do NOT use all the fan leaves and such like many recipes call for.

In MY OPINION its 'garbage in....garbage out'
    I use only high quality material to make my products so the taste of my butter is primo

I've been a professinal baker and have a degree in holistic nutrition so this stuff is very important to me. Yes it sounds a tad on the arrogant side but I CAN BAKE!!! Its my specialty but in order to make good canna butter, you have to first be a good grower

If I could add some pics of my canna treats i would BUT I just got high speed so now have to shrink my pics and my zoonbrower won't reload onto my computer for some reason so now my pics are too big for this forum.

Here is a link to some of my pics from another thread
    http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbul...ad.php?t=40225

I make everything from my cann butter
    oatmeal cookies
    gingerbreads
    peanut butter
    hermits
    biscottis

I haven't yet make candy so would like to try it which is why i am thinking of making some caramel...........mmmmmmmmm
    Yep I'm a canna babe
    I even make gluten free!
    Last edited by Lacy; 12-28-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Cannabutter queen? Cause you use no fan leafs?

Lmao! This is a odd response, and a no time did I ever have the need to say, I'm a REAL chef, not a baker or a person who thinks they are because they have a oven or a love for cooking. I'm a sealed, papered chef and restaurant consaltant and never call myself butter queen,master.....professional? or really anything like that. When really I guess I am. I actully make 6-10 lbs cannabutter a week for the centres. Opinions are great but why don't you post your recipe in the recipe section insead of saying your "I'm better cause I use no garder leafs".... in my recipe corner?
    Also to be a grower makes you a good cook is another one of your opinions that I don't get, even though I do have a MMAR garden and have grown since I was 17. That did not teach me how to make cannabutter. You don't get your banker to do the landscaping

Seedling

Thumbs Up/Down

I have made butter on a few occasions, and one time I made it I screwed up. I also use a crockpot as the temp is easier to control. This one time I thought I would make butter, and then add more regular butter to my finished product. I made the butter, strained it through about 6-8 layers of cheesecloth and everything looked good.

When I was "washing" the butter, I thought it would be a good idea to add an extra lb to the mixture. WRONG.

The added butter would not solidify to the cannabutter so I ended up with a soupy kinda concoction that I couldn't use. So, when making butter, use only the amount of butter that you want to end up in your final product.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie
    Lmao! This is a odd response, and a no time did I ever have the need to say, I'm a REAL chef, not a baker or a person who thinks they are because they have a oven or a love for cooking. I'm a sealed, papered chef and restaurant consaltant and never call myself butter queen,master.....professional? or really anything like that. When really I guess I am. I actully make 6-10 lbs cannabutter a week for the centres. Opinions are great but why don't you post your recipe in the recipe section insead of saying your "I'm better cause I use no garder leafs".... in my recipe corner?
    Also to be a grower makes you a good cook is another one of your opinions that I don't get, even though I do have a MMAR garden and have grown since I was 17. That did not teach me how to make cannabutter. You don't get your banker to do the landscaping
    Gosh.
    Friendly bunch here.
    I am well aware that you are a professional baker for the centre as I have tried your baking and it is excellent
    YOUR baked goods are what made me want to bake my own
    I'm sorry if you took my post as me trying to say my goods are better since I don't bake for any centres nor want to
    I'm not trying to sell my treats
    I was merely commenting on your threads because nobody else was and i thought I get a conversation going about baking in a playful manner
    This site doesn't have too many playful people here it seems
    People just seem to like to attack
    I guess you didn't want to take note of all the nice things i said in your other threads that nobody responded to
    And here I thought we could exchange recipes................
    WOW! Guess not

What a friendly bunch.
    How disapppointing.
    No so i won't share anything here as I can see receptive you are to the idea.

Last edited by Lacy; 12-29-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Lacy, commenting on threads starting with no I'm the Cannabutter queen and from your own words, "yes it sounds on the tad arrogant side, but I can bake".... yes does come across arrogant for me. I guess what you call starting conversation like that is new to me. I'm sorry you feel that we are a non friendly bunch here but that response is just mine and I how I feel. By not posting your recipe's and/or helpfull information is what you need to do go nuts ,but it's the patients and members of TY that will miss out. The same reasons why I post mine without cutting other peoples. I guess waking up and reading this response in my recipe corner, before posting some new recipes today is a little deflating. I am sorry for taking it out of contents and being defentive, that's me ,not Treating yourself, so please post your recipe's and such because there needed and are appreciated.
    Carrie

I

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie
    Lacy, commenting on threads starting with no I'm the Cannabutter queen and from your own words, "yes it sounds on the tad arrogant side, but I can bake".... yes does come across arrogant for me. I guess what you call starting conversation like that is new to me. I'm sorry you feel that we are a non friendly bunch here but that response is just mine and I how I feel. By not posting your recipe's and/or helpfull information is what you need to do go nuts ,but it's the patients and members of TY that will miss out. The same reasons why I post mine without cutting other peoples. I guess waking up and reading this response in my recipe corner, before posting some new recipes today is a little deflating. I am sorry for taking it out of contents and being defentive, that's me ,not Treating yourself, so please post your recipe's and such because there needed and are appreciated.
    Carrie

I
    No problem sweetie.
    I was purposely being bratty but playfully so.

Your canna treats totally kick ass GF .........
    You're a legend
    Thanks for responding back.
    That was nice

Thumbs Up/Down

Default I'm no legend but thanks!

I get bratty , sorry just caught off guard

Thumbs Up/Down

a cup of cannabutter to the two of you
    420eh

P.A.C.E.
    People Advocating Cannabis Education

http://www.pace-online.ca

hashimoto

Thanks for sharing your recipes/methods, but isn't boiling for half an hour too hot for too long? At that temp/time you're vaporizing off your meds before you can use them.
    What temps are you using? I've been using a crockpot on 'keep warm' setting which is 125-130F, I do a longer cook time, typically 72 hours or so.

Thumbs Up/Down

Good recipies Carrie, basically exactly how I make it too. Hashimoto, I've been making cannabutter and cannaoil for several years as well. Mostly cannaoil for personal preferences. THC has a vaporizing temp around 300 F, which is the lowest flash point of all the cannabinoids. I always heat to 200 to 210 F, just long enough to heat all material to this temperature (usually around an hour). I now make it regularly for a patient so far I've never had any complaints about the potency.
    Last edited by thaistik; 12-30-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Exclamation Cannabutter

Those stove-top recipe's are hard and easy to mess up. If you have the crock pots, way better. Your right with the temp,having the water as a medium also makes it more forgiving. I use mine on the keep warm setting for 18-20 hours. The old crockpots don't have the keep warm setting so I put on low for a couple hours less with more water. Right before the press I turn them on high for around 45mins, to get the most out of the press. Keep the pressed matter untill you have a few batches and that will make a butter as well, sometimes I find stronger due to the 3 different batches.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0
    Given: 1/0

Great thread! I am always trying to make better butter.
    Best part about the thread is the Sisters getting along. Two of the most valuable contributors whose help and advice is always appreciated!
    Many thanks to Carrie and Lacy!
    Neal.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

if you use vap remains for butter do you gain any potency with longer cook time? I usually do it in butter and water at 175 degrees for 6-8 hours.

Also will the wash work on duff? I dont get that heavy of a flavor but wonder if I did a wash if it would make it even less?

To help get all the goodies out of the cheesecloth I have heated water that I dip the squeezed cloth mixture in or pour on it and squeeze some more.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Cannabutter

Longer than the 8 hours for the low butter/water simmer will help fursure. Not sure about washing the vap duff..., not much chlorophyll,dirt,ex. in the meds at that point, so my guess is no need to wash.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

I knew you were a brat too
    Just another reason to love ya

Thanks 420 and Neal. How sweet.

I also use a crock pot and have it on the 'keep warm' setting
    At first i used to use the low setting but found it burnt the butter so turned it down

How long do you recommend cooking in a slow cooker for Carrie?
    I usually cook it 12 to 18 hours and it seems good but I have heard of others cooking it for up to 72 hours like Hashimoto. I'm pretty sure my slow cooker doesn't cook at temps that low though.

I just put some on @ 6:00 and am making some gingerbreads and stuff so would be happy to share some recipes here. As soon as I get some photo software so i can shrink some pics ot add.

Its so nice to have you here Carrie
    Last edited by Lacy; 12-30-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

So i ended up cooking this batch of butter on the 'warm setting' for 24 hours. The warm setting is about 150 degrees F
    This time i also grinded up the buds some which seems to help greatly.
    I prepared this butter the same way i prepared the material for my bubblehash and it worked out very nicely.
    My ratio of weed to butter is 1/2 an ounce of bud or 1 oucne of trim to one lb. of butter. This seems to work nicely for my patient and I.
    I don't heat my butter to boiling at any point in time but let it cool some and then strain.
    I agree with what carrie mentioned in that if you keep the weed material and then squeeze out the remaining butter, this usually is the strongest part.
    It gets all foamy like and is even different in colouration due to all the trichs collecting in the remains of the butter.

I'm going to make some canna treats this weekend, take some pics and hopefully will be able to post these recipes along them. The patient I am baking for canna tolerate chocolate well due to migraines so I'm improvising some with these ones. Biscotti's and gingerbreads

Does anyone has any suggestions on downloadable software to shrink pics?
    My zoombrowser is STILL not downloading onto my computer.
    Last edited by Lacy; 01-02-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy
    1 oucne of trim to one lb. of butter.
    This is the same ratio that I use as well For both butter and oil, makes for some strong meds. Good stuff, enjoy the medibles.

Thumbs Up/Down

great methods, I use the crock pot myself and finish with dollar store pillow cases as a filter and a wine press for straining it, you get most of the butter back and have a good sized hockey puck of leaf left
    "If you do not read a newspaper you are uninformed

If you do read a newspaper you are misinformed."

Mark Twain

Get your news from more than one source.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks thaistick. I think it is a good ratio also. It works for me and I'm chronic....lol

Hiya clearhead,
    thanks for the input on the canna butter. It seems most people I know make canna butter the slow cooker or crock pot way on the warm setting.

TOTALLY cool idea of the straining material.
    I LOVE IT! Thats one thing that i am constantly running around for is cheese cloth. I need to stock up on it perhaps...lol
    It seems I never have enough of it but the pillow case idea is awesome. If the threadcount is good it might even be better

Thanks so much

Thumbs Up/Down

For straining, I use a food press and filter through a mesh coffee filter.

Vegetative Member

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by thaistik
    For straining, I use a food press and filter through a mesh coffee filter.
    You really HAVE done this for a while huh?
    I like it

I was going to add some recipes and info now but I am far too high off these canna treats so will add them tomorrow, but in another thread, of course.

Thanks for sharing all these tips with us Thaistick and the rest of you

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Lacy
    I am far too high off these canna treats
    That's great, I too was just about to post on some granola bars I just made, but realized I'm too stoned to type the recipe. I'll be out in the field this week, so I'll post when I get back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast