Thread: Harvest and Cure

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Smile Harvest and Cure

Trimming, Drying and Curing are a craft that must be mastered in order to maximize taste and potency. Many talented growers fail to implement some of the following techniques and the result is not to maximum potential. This problem is compounded by the fact that most growers feel his/her pot is better than everyone else’s. Try to tell a grower whom is your friend that he/she could do a better job on trimming and curing, this will usually result in the end of a friendship. A good trim and cure can make the difference between green tasting, hard to burn nugs, and smooth clean burning dank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OrangeVelvet(UNseeded)(58daysflower)5-13-05.7.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	15154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScarletQueen(Ellen)58daysF.10-13-06...2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	15155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpaceQueen50days.4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	15156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpaceQueenJill56daysF(7-19-05)-1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	15157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SpaceQueenJill56daysF(7-19-05)-2.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	15158  

Thumbs Up/Down

Smile Trimming

TRIMMING
    For the best end results we have found that upon harvest, it is best to trim all foliage from the colas/buds while the foliage is still rigid & fully hydrated. It is very important to remove as many leaves protruding from the bud, as possible. These small leaves may still contain chlorophyll, which will adversely affect the taste of your finished product. Many growers prefer to leave these leaves to curl around the bud for appearance, but we feel that it will definitely take away from the taste and smoothness. We like to separate the shade leaves from the sugar leaves. We use the sugar leaves for *hash or *butter. It is important to have a good pair of scissors for trimming. A good $10.00 pair of hair cutting shears will do the job very well, you may need to replace them every couple harvests. It is nice to have a bowl for the shade leaves and a bowl for the sugar leaves. A table, along with a comfortable chair, and good lighting are also musts for trimming.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	15160   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	15161   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	15162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	15163   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	15164  

Last edited by MzJill; 11-29-2006 at 03:48 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down

Smile Drying

DRYING
    Leave the buds on the stems and hang on a string or hanger of some sort. It is best to dry the buds in a place that allows dark to indirect lighting and also adequate air flow, a fan is good to have. Allow the buds to dry until they are crisp on the outside and the stems will still be pliable, since the stems contain so much residual moisture it is best at this time to remove the buds from the stems and place in a large bowl, on a screen or a tray. In our climate the hanging time is about three days, but the drying time will vary due to humidity. According to the time of year, the temperature and the type of heat in your home drying time can vary from as little as three days to as long as a week.

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	15165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	15166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	15167  

Thumbs Up/Down

Smile Curing

CURING
    When the small stems, which remain under the buds, are completely dry enough to snap and the buds are dry enough to smoke, it is time to start the curing process. We use glass *canning jars to cure and store our marijuana. During the first three days we open the jars about once a day. After the first three days, once a week for a month, when the cure will be complete.

* DO NOT leave damp marijuana in sealed jars, it will mold! *

*When making Bubble Hash, we freeze the trim in freezer bags after it drys over night.

*When making butter, we allow the trim to dry completely.

*example: Kerr, Mason, Ball

Name:	JarsofBud1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	15168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buds3(Apollo13).jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	15169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShromBud1.1-21-05.60daysF.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	15170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShromBud2.1-21-05.60daysF.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	172.9 KB 
ID:	15171  

Theraputic Cannabis Dominatrix pflover's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 2/0

Though years of experimentation i have come to the same conclusions as you about most of these techinques.... i have one question tho. why do you prefer a screen or bowl to a paper bag?
    Regestered PDX area TC-caregiver for 2, housewife.

Mugen: [after finding a bag of coins in the river] We hit the pot, Jack!
    Fuu: That's jackpot!
    Mugen: All I know is we're filthy bitch!
    Fuu: Filthy rich!
    Jin: I hope your doing that on purpose.

PRESERVE NEURAL PLASTICITY!!!

Anit harm none...

BravoC.D.

i loved that color u use.

Thumbs Up/Down

Smile

I feel that it gets better circulation of fresh air in a bowl rather than in a paper bag. I have used the paper bag before, I feel that I can taste a paper bag taste on the finished product.

Peace n Kindness,
    MzJill

Thumbs Up/Down

Default instead of a bowl. . .

If increased airflow around the buds is desired after they are removed from hanging, try using one of those kitchen collanders/strainers that is made of wire mesh in the shape of a bowl. I also try to arrange the buds like a big, fat donut, so that the air is equally available to the herb rather than having a relatively dead spot in the middle of the bowl.

One other comment: I like to keep some guard leaves on the bud. It may have a negative impact with regard to taste, but I think it helps the texture and the burn in my glass pipe. Personal preference, I suppose.

Good info, MzJill. Glad to see you here.

onus

Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by onus
    If increased airflow around the buds is desired after they are removed from hanging, try using one of those kitchen collanders/strainers that is made of wire mesh in the shape of a bowl. I also try to arrange the buds like a big, fat donut, so that the air is equally available to the herb rather than having a relatively dead spot in the middle of the bowl.

One other comment: I like to keep some guard leaves on the bud. It may have a negative impact with regard to taste, but I think it helps the texture and the burn in my glass pipe. Personal preference, I suppose.

Good info, MzJill. Glad to see you here.

onus
    Is there a reason you leave them on the big stems other than for just hanging? Why wouldn’t you trim the buds off and put them on a suspended window screen so that they can get air movement in a more constant rate? I hung a 28x 40” window screen in my flowering room, made sure that there was no direct air blowing on them and just used the good flow through ventilation to dry them, drying took 3-4 days still with the small stems still pliable, I then glass jar them and follow the burping. I have a small 4x7x6’ flower room with 440 CFM, bit of over kill on the ventilation.
    Any ways back to the question , Is there a reason you leave them on the big stems other than for just hanging?
    Don't sweat the small stuff it will lead to hair loss.

Health Canada Exemption Holder

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 4/0

It makes the buds flat!
    They method we use was developed by both of us seperatly and I have been curing weed like this for over 30 years. Most people are pretty damned impressed with our samples.
    We leave on big stems to speed up trimming and processing there removed just a few days later.
    Sub
    Subcool Genetic Support

Subcool is the author of Dank: The Quest for the Very Best Marijuana

Thumbs Up/Down

Great info and super nice looking bud stash you got there. Thanks so much for sharing the info....now, about them buds...
    No matter where you go, there you are.

Thumbs Up/Down

Thanks for the tips on curing.

Thumbs Up/Down

great tutorial on curring and trimming and its good timing personally. I have been on the right track from what I have read in your thread but still have a question..

I am curing in a 5x8ft cement cellar room that has been sealed up and partially insulated with 2" foam board.. its a bit cold though, around this time of year in there.. I would guess 58-60 deg.... I ran a heat vent from the furnace and its helping but still a bit on the cold side of things.. I also have a new large dehumidifier going on full speed as well as a rotating 14" fan blowing indirectly on the buds.. and the buds are hanging on string zigzaged across the room at around 6ft high....I have left most of the leafs on due to time issues. I dont usually do this. I have also just cut the top half of the plant so its mostly colas hanging in there as I dont have the time to do the popcorn buds yet so I have left them on the plants to get a bit more light before I do the complete pull of the plants....

questions is really this..

is it going to screww things up being a bit on the cold side of things in the cure room...???? and is there any thing I should be changing from what you have read..

I am considering putting a co2 generator in there with the pilot light burning away all the time to bring the temps up a little bit .. is this a good or bad idea??

Embryo

Thumbs Up/Down

Unhappy

this question is a little(lot) off topic, but you atre the best person to ask.
    I am growing querkle. they are showing signs of nute lok out. I don't have a meter, but rather a aquarium color match ph testin device which reads @6.0(yellow).
    what ph is best? should I go up or down? eg: 5.8 or 6.2? I've never had this problem b4.
    4.5 wks into flwr, yellowing leaves like N def. rusty spots along viens, leaves curl upward and geet crispy. bottom to top, s-l-o=w-l-y. any help would be much appreciated!
    thnks in dvance.
    "Just one life which soon may pass, only what's done with love will last."

Thumbs Up/Down

I have seen the same thing you are experincing right now and it was cured by a week 4 flush with ph water at 6.3-6.5 in soil/soiless ... after all the veg nutrients plus the bloom nutrients, you would have loads of built up salts in your medium for sure.. I have had this problem many times and always thought it was so do with somthing other than salts build up. I tried many different suppliments , mag/cal , epson salts , many other things but ultimately it was a build up .. Thanks to SEVENS who has lots of great advice , he told me that the clawing and burning was for sure a sign of over doing it with out a flushing before entering bloom.. Now when I did the flush it took a week but it was like night and day difference in health of the plants.. I will for ever do a flush at the end of veg cycle if its longer than 3 weeks and always do a flushe at the mid poiunt of bloom and at the end..

one helpful hint to save time and energy with flushing is get a $10 kiddy pool and put some bricks or upside dound pots in there and do your flush in there. you can get about 10 5gal pots in there at the same time so it really reduces the time and effort for sure..

be nice and always flush twice....!!!!!! dont let the yellow mellow, make sure it flows clear or you will end up with issues

R.I.P. No Longer Suffering Swampy's Avatar

Thumbs Up/Down

Great thread, I love those little blue pools handy for doing anything that involves dirt, I use flat boxes for the final dry ing of buds but I thought I could taste cardboard I think I'll try something else next time. I always hung with leaf on to protect the crystals while drying, do you think the chlorophil migrates from the leaf to the bud?
    We are all related, brothers and sisters to all that walk, crawl, swim and fly, cousins to the dust and rain that refresh our Mother Earth. Always remember life loves you and hate is never the answer