PDA

View Full Version : Curing time lengths.

pflover
01-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Has anyone here personally experimented with curing time lengths? under what conditions? what where your results?

Thanx!

Ally

GreenThumb
01-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Ally
It wasn’t much an experiment but I kept some good herb in a Mason jar for about eight months to see if the potency would increase. Alas it did not, in fact I’m sure it decreased.
My problem may have been in opening and closing the jar continually. I think if it had been left closed and in the bottom of the fridge for that length of time the outcome would have been better. The taste was great and quite smooth though..
GT

green girl
01-08-2006, 09:45 AM
My experience - I store my mj in glass mason jars with plastic lids. The metal lids may be slightly better, but the plastic lids are easier on my hands. I first dry, then pack the jars for curing. Jars are packed lightly to the tops, and I have the lids on and off for a period of 2 weeks. I use smell as my curing guide, and once for each jar, I manouver the mj so the stuff from the bottom of the jar is switched to the top - a circulation thing. When the cure smell is right, I tightly pack up each jar and make sure each jar is well sealed. Stored jars stay in a box out of the light in a dry room. I did a big harvest of plants back in late August before I shut down the space. I find a trick that helps - I use jars that have enough mj in them to last a week. I keep 2-3 varieties open in jars, and only open a new jar every 2-3 weeks. I can rotate in varieties if I have them on hand. Right now I have (a few) jars left that have been sealed for 5 months. I notice when I open a new jar - the cured smell is amazing. And still amazing. I like the flavour. I think the potency is still there - I'm still getting the effects I'm expecting! The cured stuff is definately less harsh. I only cough when I take too big a lungful. Occasionally I get a taste that makes me want to scrape off my tongue. Could be from cured pot going sour or stale, but it could also be from trying to save a few nugs from the old packed bowl to the new packed bowl. It don't always smoke a whole bowl down! I was under the impression that cured, properly stored bud can last a year before the potency begins to diminish. I don't have enough to give you a full report!

dykster
01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Well...I have found little difference in a month compared to several...but that's like asking me how long candy will stary fresh. In my house...only a moment!

groo
01-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I used to just find that the longer you could keep that last bit of moisture working without getting mold, the richer the flavour became for smoking. But it really did pretty much peak at around 6-7 weeks. OTOH I never managed to hang on to anything longer than about 8-9 weeks after it's harvest.

I did find that after about 6 weeks you lose a bit of the stoney aspects in terms of potency, but it didn't seem to affect migraine prophylaxis.

pflover
01-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanx everyone. i'm curious because my own experience has lead me to prefer bud that is no more than 8 weeks old. often after that i find it harsher and less potent tho the taste often is equal to improved. i have a thing tho for the cannabiniod profile of 2-3 week old bud.

akblugirl
04-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Would keeping the cured, jarred bud in the freezer extend it's "shelf life"?

soulmate
04-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Robbin has found that the longer cured buds , get a more enrich flavor and scent. She has had Mj in Mason jars, over a year old and has found that the high and flavor has not decrease but the high had mellowed into a more mediative state and the flavor has improved with more of the natural strain flavors coming out. I think this is due that the breakdown of chemical's in the organics of the weed. We store all cured Mj in mason jars, in a cool, dark area for about 2 months after it is cured 90 -95% of the way and then finish it off. It then stays in this area another month or so, then into the freezer, where it can almost stay forever. She has never tested forever before as it doesn't last that long, I am just using those words so that you get my point (a long time).

Roy
04-03-2006, 09:52 AM
I store my bud in Mason Jars for a very long time. I have bud in Mason Jars that have been in cure since the fall of 2004. It still smokes nice.

I would be interested in looking at data on how long you can keep bud. Many times I have heard that about 8 to 12 months is about it. But, my experience does not bare that out.

Does anyone know of factual information on this topic?

pflover
04-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Freezing would extend it's shelf life as long as you did not keep taking it out and putting it back. once forzen you should probably keep it there until you are ready to use it.

thanx for all the input on this thread. i do not personally perfer the effect of well cured bud over freshly cure bud usually. if it is indica dom there is a even more indica like quality that comes out with a longer cure and this is ok but if it is sat dom the best parts of the sat effect for me appear to start to dissapear and get "blunted or dull" the longer they cure. with sats i do not want the effect to mellow out. if i want a mellow effect i smoke an indica. lol

:)

Cakes
05-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Mel Franc's book has some very specific tests cited re the length of time that bud retains it's THC levels and his info indicates that the shelf life is close to indefinite if the herb is stred at low enough temperatures. 0 degrees F is optimal and results in less than 1% loss a year.

re the 'cure' and taste issue, so far I have found that putting herb into a jar when it is even the slightest bit unfinished ruins the taste forever. so does drying it too quick. we think it is best if the drying period is two weeks at least and then it is aged for two weeks more; for a total of one month from harvest to perfection.

In order to take two weeks to dry, the herb must be at low temps (35-45F) and also there needs to be a bit of humidity. You can get about the same thing by putting a fatty nug in a paper lunch bag and drying it in the fridge for a month.

The day to jar it up is the first day that the stem cracks AND breaks cleanly. After you jar it up, then the next day when you check it the stem will no longer crack and break cleanly but the center of the bud should smoke without need for more than one relight per joint. and no need for any airing of the jar. if the joints don't burn right, then the herb was jarred too early and the cure is ruined but it will still be stony.

pflover
05-02-2006, 04:54 AM
thanx for the input. :)

i've had similar experience.

Cakes
05-03-2006, 02:23 AM
someone visited me today and said they had been witness to herb from 20 years ago ripping the heck out of an experienced smoker with just a few hits

diamond
05-03-2006, 06:13 PM
thats what i do to cakes.i go a little longer than the crack before jar with big colas.depends.different strains,different times.so i guess that makes me a crack head,lol.i havnt noticed a lose from 6- to a year.i like my dry sift hash 1 year cure.

pflover
05-03-2006, 06:16 PM
LMAO!!! too funny diamond! that explains everything. :p

diamond
05-03-2006, 06:28 PM
once upon a time,lol p

rangergord
05-04-2006, 01:06 AM
Some of my herb is 3 years old and is not any more or less potent than it was when harvested. I know in theory it should degrade over time after it cures to a peak in the first two months or so. Curing methods have a great influence on taste for sure. Recently with my herbalaire vaporizer I have been using damp uncured freshly harvested herb in it. Wow! according to conventional wisdom, it should not be very potent. Try telling my body that! I get these incredible moist vapors filled with all the great tasting terpenes and essential oils. I get very stoned and it is somewhat different from the high I get from dried and cured herb. This suggests to me that the terpenes in fresh herb could have very important influences on the effect of the herb on my body.

zardoz
05-04-2006, 10:36 AM
rangergord, I too am fond of vaping "Green Bud" there is simply nothing like it.

On the topic of curing/storing, I cure like most others... hang untill "crispy", bag in a closed paper bag untill somewhat moist again.. do this for a few days.. opening and mixing the contents daily. When they are dry to the "touch" again it's time for the bottles... they stay there untill the process of oppening when moisture appears and closing when it fades off is finally finished and there is no more moisture left in the jars. I then pack my bud into 1oz lunch bags, I put two 1oz bags into a vaccum sealer bag then seal it tight. I keep these vaccum bags in a dark place (no freezer, I'm convinced this breaks the trichomes!) I have buds from two years ago that are just as fresh as the day I packed them.

Gord

pflover
05-04-2006, 04:45 PM
hehehe i think this fresh green bud preference might be a "Gord" thing!!! <giggling hysterically>

funny, i don't get as much from vapping fresh bud like that as you guys do but scizzor hash (which is still fresh) effects me like nothing else. also i personally find that herb that has just recently dried to the point of being smokable at all (recently as in the last week or so) has a distinct and different effect profile than if it "cures" completely. I REALLY personally prefer the effect of bud that has been harvested only a week and a half ago compared to that of the same bud that was harvested 5 or more weeks ago. something in the effect profile noticably changes over this critical time period and i have no idea what it actually is.

Artful Dodger
05-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I just finished my jar of G13HashPlant crosses after havin' em jarred for 9-10 months and diggin' in 'em as needed be....and it REALLY improved with each passin' month. I have to wonder if/when it would have hit it's "ceiling." It'll have a space in all gardens in the future....great for Migraine relief & as a preventative.

Namaste',
Arty

buddyh
05-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Cakes, Did you say 20 Years old herb?
What did they forget where they put it?
:)
They witnessed it, but didn't get to smoke any of it.
Don't buy any bridges from that person

Heri J. Wanna
07-27-2006, 06:26 PM
I would think freezing buds would burst the trichomes and ruin the potency???? Just a thought...

Heri J. Wanna.

pflover
07-27-2006, 06:35 PM
not if it is dry already. but if it is still wet that seems theoretically possible. i know that freezing wet bud (in my personal opinion) completely ruins any chance of it ever drying to a pleasently smokable state and does seem to effect future potency to a degree. but the buds dry out quicker once they thaw for what that is worth.

soaring2high
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
I'm supprised that no one has brought up "water Cure" or is that a lost or fobbiden subject???

I do both, jars and water depending on the strain.

I do love the water cure after it's dried, it's done in a week (7 days), I do lose the some of the fragrance but on some strains thay's good.
It always smokes great right away.

Elysium
07-27-2006, 10:04 PM
I only first heard of the water cure recently...there's no way I could do it. Can't see the point of taking the risk?

page50
07-28-2006, 06:33 AM
I keep mine in plastic tobacco cans from way back, I take out only what I need for a month. Mine lasts me a year, if I have enough for that time period. I'm a outdoor grower, so I only pack it up once a year in the fall, store it in my containers, and life is good, until I run out again. Never had any problems. I don't freeze mine either, and it's as nice as when I packed it away, nice and fresh. Love opening a new can. Just like a fresh box of chocolates.
Life is good
Page

pflover
07-28-2006, 04:42 PM
this was not a water cure thread is all, soaring2high. that is completely it's own technique. having tried it several times, i have to say i personally do not find it worth it. it detracts from the smell and taste (often imparting a negative taste as well as subtracting from the original taste). all things water cured have a similar favor to me. and last but not least, no matter how i do it or how fast it dries out there always appears to be some kind of small white powder (fungus?) that forms on the edges of the drying leaves. this makes me nervous and is why i have not put more effort in to water curing.

the only advantage i have noticed is that the bud DOES seem to dry out faster and be more pleasent to smoke in terms of smoothness a lot sooner.

I now only use water curing as a last resort to cure buds that just seem unsmokeable for some reason or another.

for more info on water curing here is a good link:
http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=283&highlight=water+cure