PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried this flavoring method?

ScurvyPirateGuy
10-20-2005, 02:33 AM
I copied this flavoring concept from a web site. It looks tasty, but before I tried it I was wondering if anyone else had any luck with this method.

Let me know. Here's the instructions ...

1. Adding flavors with the proper technique will produce your favorite variety of smells and taste like whatever you want. Do not pour syrup or similar sugar based flavorings on the harvested herb because sugar will make a harsh taste. The best flavor enhancing starts while the plant is still growing. There are two main approaches, inside out and outside in. You can apply flavors inside the plant while it's still growing and you can try to add flavors after it's been harvested from the outside. Select a flavoring that is very concentrated. Take orange for an example. You could use orange juice but it contains natural sugars. You will find some concentrated flavor extracts in the grocery store. Vanilla extract is cheap and readily available, so is lemon extract (cooking variety). Other extracts can be found in stores that specialize in baking supplies. Vanilla is our favorite taste. A coffee filter works well for filtering fruits but it'll take a while to filter it all. You may have to change filters a few times. Concentrated extracts are the best to use. Use extracts shortly before harvest. Most extracts have sugar in them. Sugar will ferment and decay rapidly, even more so in a hydro unit. With hydro put the flavoring in the water between 1 and 3 hours before harvest. Anything longer will produce harmful bacteria. Plants draw up solution fairly quickly, one hour should be enough for some of the flavoring to reach the top. Three hours should not be enough time for bacteria to grow. Dump out the solution right afterwards and clean out your unit. Use plain water for a few days before harvesting your hydro crop so all that will be in the water will be the flavoring. Soil growing is easier. Let the plant dry out a little before applying the solution. Do it in the watering just before harvest. Give your plants plain water for the last two weeks and near the end do this process. When the plant is somewhat dry and craving water, give the plant the water with the flavor when it's a little bit thirsty and it will draw it right up. One hour is more than enough time.

2. Don't treat your whole crop this way while experimenting. Dirt growers will find this easy because they could use something different in each pot. Hydro people may want to isolate a plant or two with the solution. This wouldn't be very hard because you wouldn't need circulation for the short period of time it would be soaking in it. Try guava, pineapple, grapefruit, cherry, mint or even pina colada. Stronger and more concentrated flavorings will have a more pronounced effect than more dilute products. You need gallons of orange juice to get what you want but a half ounce of concentrated strawberry essence might do the job nicely. In short, experiment and see what works for you.

Leo
10-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Hey ScurvyPirateGuy,check the link below,this could be an easier way to add taste to your bud.
http://www.wellcoolstuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TP6985&Category_Code=SAS

Peace,
Leo

William Bloode
10-20-2005, 03:50 PM
I have found the best way to add flavors is afterwards in the curing jars. You can add bits of lemon, or orange peels, pieces of cloves, or sticks of cinnimon. You can add things like the berries off a cedar tree, fresh mint leaves etc.

This will lighly change the flavor and add another element to the mix without adding potentially bad tasting sugars, acids, or alcohols from other additives

leroy
10-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Does anyone forsee any problems with flushing real good at 3 gallons water per gallon of soil medium and then using plain water and one tablespoon molasses per gallon for the ten days right up to harvest?

salmayo
10-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Does anyone forsee any problems with flushing real good at 3 gallons water per gallon of soil medium and then using plain water and one tablespoon molasses per gallon for the ten days right up to harvest?

Yo, Bruce Leroy... ...I did side by side 2 week tests of cut bud stems in various solutions including at one Tablespoon/Gallon of Molasses, Lemon Juice, Citric Acid, 75% ethanol, orange juice and a few other solutions.

I found that Molasses gave the best results for flavor and kick. This experiment used cut stems in solution rather than roots, but Molasses is a well documented Hydro and soil ammendment (its credited with helping Late Hydro Tomatos Ripen).

I preferment out carbs using Oxygenated (Plant extract) Tea Methods to avoid bacterial and fungal blooms that clog up my emitters. I now use about 3/4 Cup Molasses in 4 Gallons of Mix. I Also add 4 Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger Tea bags (one per gallon). The decaf tea is mainly contains Jamacia (Hybiscus Flowers - Sweet), Rose Hips (Organic Vit. C and Citric Acid - Tangy) and some nice Berry flavors.

Using cut flowers fed through the stem rather than roots should transfer more flavor to the flowers and allows for the use of different flavorings for comparison.

Other sources of flavorings you might want to try are essential oil extracts (Lavender is my favorite, I have also tried Orange, rose and Lemon Grass).
I have also used organic flaver extracts from HomeBrew Beer shops, many organic flavors are available for flavoring beers and wines.

leroy
10-20-2005, 07:55 PM
Well, in my case I'm not really looking to flavor the pot, just smooth the smoke out and help during the curing process, also I like the idea of giving it the natural boost of energy molasses gives it. We will see. I mean, a tablespoon a gallon isn't going to hurt much either way.

Crazy_Eagle
10-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Yo, Bruce Leroy... ...I did side by side 2 week tests of cut bud stems in various solutions including at one Tablespoon/Gallon of Molasses, Lemon Juice, Citric Acid, 75% ethanol, orange juice and a few other solutions.

I found that Molasses gave the best results for flavor and kick. This experiment used cut stems in solution rather than roots, but Molasses is a well documented Hydro and soil ammendment (its credited with helping Late Hydro Tomatos Ripen).

I preferment out carbs using Oxygenated (Plant extract) Tea Methods to avoid bacterial and fungal blooms that clog up my emitters. I now use about 3/4 Cup Molasses in 4 Gallons of Mix. I Also add 4 Celestial Seasonings Wild Berry Zinger Tea bags (one per gallon). The decaf tea is mainly contains Jamacia (Hybiscus Flowers - Sweet), Rose Hips (Organic Vit. C and Citric Acid - Tangy) and some nice Berry flavors.

Using cut flowers fed through the stem rather than roots should transfer more flavor to the flowers and allows for the use of different flavorings for comparison.

Other sources of flavorings you might want to try are essential oil extracts (Lavender is my favorite, I have also tried Orange, rose and Lemon Grass).
I have also used organic flaver extracts from HomeBrew Beer shops, many organic flavors are available for flavoring beers and wines.

WoW!! never heard of flavoring your pot before Salmayo,so you just add 3/4 cup of molasses in 4 gallons of mix? Do you mix the molasses with water? and when do you do this 2 or 1 week before cutting?
thx
C.E

pflover
10-21-2005, 05:08 PM
it is reported that the iron and other micro nutes in mollassus help provide the needed building blocks for making more potent plants. i do not know if it's true but after sal saying "I found that Molasses gave the best results for flavor and **kick**." it made me think of having read that a few times.

ScurvyPirateGuy
10-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Wow. I guess there's still so much to learn. Thanks for the tips

salmayo
10-22-2005, 06:45 PM
WoW!! never heard of flavoring your pot before Salmayo,so you just add 3/4 cup of molasses in 4 gallons of mix? Do you mix the molasses with water? and when do you do this 2 or 1 week before cutting?
thx
C.E
My side by side experiments were done using CUT stems, I have not done side by side tests through flowering on root feed plants, but have used the solution on plants up until 10 days before harvesting (now I flush). I use "BLACK STRAP" (dark) Molasses that is UNsulphered (sulphering smooths flavor).

One reason that has been put forth that Molasses aids in the ripening of Tomatoes is that increases the osmotic pressure of the hydroponic nutrient solution, which may be reacted to by the plant in any number of ways.

I then flush with water pH adjusted with phosphoric acid (P2O5), in order to reduce the harshness of the smoke. Residual starches, sugars and proteins make for harsh smoke which is why so many people flush before harvest to reduce these things.

Potassium and Chlorine affect burning and flavor, so much so that there are laws in Tobacco States regulating Water Chlorine levels!!! I let all water stand over night in a warm dark place to dechlorinate before using for Hydro and Foliar spray mixes. I also use an airstone which keeps the Oxygen level up and helps push out the chlorine, but you don't have to.

Up until I flush, I have noted that the solution produces leaves that have thicker cross sections that feel meatier, more pliable and less paperry than the untreated plants.

Now I do things differently:

I ferment out the Molasses for 4 days to two weeks before adding to my hydro unit. I "kick" it with wine or beer yeast to burn the carbs out (avoiding bacterial and fungal blooms). I "rack" (siphon from the middle where there it is clearest) the solution and then filter it before adding it to my sump, in order to avoid clogged emitters (I HATE CLOGGED EMITTERS). I now am after the phyto-chemicals in the Molasses.

Molasses is the concentrated by-product of boiling down cane sugar sap.
It literally is a concentrated sap extract. It's true that the boiling process neutralizes many of the bio-active vitamines, hormones and enzymes, but some still remain in addition to the large unfermentable sugars and minerals.
__________________________________________________ ______________

I still think the most effective way to ADD flavorings is to put cut stems in solutions to be pulled straight up the stem without having to deal with the root barrier. From what I read about adding flavorings an hour is said to be enough time, but if you needed to wait using a Molasses solution the cuttings could be stored like this for days (mine were kept under lights for two weeks).

Pot is MY anti-drug
10-22-2005, 07:01 PM
So do you want to have the cut stems thirsty so they soak up the solution faster?
Also, a quick add in for flavorings, many pharmacies carry small bottles of super concentrated flavorings that are designed to be added to childrens medicines to make them more palettable to the young ones... I'm not sure as to sugar content of these though... they do have about 9 bazillion flavors of these though...

Also, say if I were to use actual fruit extract. (my thought is for pomegranates) How would I be able to reduce the sugar content of this so as to not mess with the overall quality of the bud?

Green Medicine
10-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Anyone who uses the term "rack" either likes women or brews beer! :D

salmayo
10-22-2005, 07:28 PM
So do you want to have the cut stems thirsty so they soak up the solution faster?
Also, a quick add in for flavorings, many pharmacies carry small bottles of super concentrated flavorings that are designed to be added to childrens medicines to make them more palettable to the young ones... I'm not sure as to sugar content of these though... they do have about 9 bazillion flavors of these though...

Also, say if I were to use actual fruit extract. (my thought is for pomegranates) How would I be able to reduce the sugar content of this so as to not mess with the overall quality of the bud?
Cut stems should ALWAYS be put directly in water to avoid embolisms (air bubbles getting sucked up the stem). If you want the stems to transpire faster use higher temps, but you might fry em. If many say an hour, I say whats an hour (unless you just did a hugh rail of coke or something :eek: , I can't even do Pepsi :p ).

Fruit extracts should have minimal sugar content, extracts are processed to fraction out sugars to make a more concentrated product to reduce package and shippiong costs.

I think you mean real deal old school unsweetened Pomegranate Juice. Ooh Tangy!!
-----------------------------------------------------------
How would I be able to reduce the sugar content of this so as to not mess with the overall quality of the bud? I'm tempted to not get to tricky here and just say don't worry about it, but that's just so o o o not me.

A) The hard way, do an oxygenated ferment with an scrubbed (H202, activated carbon) inlet line. (Yes white lab coat Techno Nerds rule!!!)
Rack, filter ect. ect. (This is how I do indoor Molasses Tea in Winter for low smell don't tell)

OK OK, but seriously, fer real...

B) Soak the stems in sweetened whatever for an hour or few... ...then soak in clean water (how about overnight for a 12 hour dark cycle or two or three heh heh). The plant will metabolize the sugars and the water solution wont spoil (best of both worlds).

salmayo
10-22-2005, 07:29 PM
Yes I do ;)

pflover
10-23-2005, 05:39 AM

or wine, or both, or all 3.

Green Medicine
10-23-2005, 06:55 AM
:D I forgot for a moment you are a Zymologist and Oenologist :D

You just made my day pflover! LOL